Ripped Skin

Loona

Songster
Oct 2, 2015
We discovered today that one of our hens has a wound of ripped skin under her wing. It's is exposed all of the 'breast meat". The flap of skin is just hanging there. The area is about 3" wide x about 2" high. We aren't sure how this happened. Maybe the rooster.

We took her to the vet, but she described an ordeal which would cost $200 each visit that would 'irritate' the existing edges to compel them to grow skin. She said the ripped skin has shrunk so the accident must've taken place yesterday. She chose to not suture it but let it die off, and perhaps next week cut it off.

I declined her treatment offer because I just can't afford a minimum 600 vet bill. I left with Clavamox, a pain med, and chlorohexadone? to clean it with. Since I declined she said to just keep it clean and hope for the best. She told me not to use a betadine/water solution because it can cause necrosis, and the h202 is too strong and irritating and won't allow the healing to progress. That I could use a Neosporin creme but not ointment.

Sweet Pea is feeling/looking rather normal despite this big loss of skin. She is pecking and scratching around the yard. She ate a nice corner chunk of watermelon after I gave the Clavamox. So her appetite and good attitude is all there, but I know this can change. :(

Does anyone here have experience with a situation like this? Even tho I went to the vet I'm feeling quite lost since I didn't go forth w/her recommendations.
If anyone has any advice for an area of large skin loss, I'd appreciate it. There are no puncture wounds. Thank you.

Chickens are good about healing themselves.
I would say the most important thing is to keep her safe and secure so she doesn't injure it worse.
The meds should help her to not get an infection, which would probably be more likely to kill her.
Keep it clean and she should be just fine.

You may want to rethink keeping a rooster.

Last edited:
That is what im talking about i herd that its great for cleaning and getting parasites out.I thought
While some health care providers may recommend a warm bath with Epsom salt for conditions such as sore muscles or to relieve psoriasis, soaking opens wounds in the magnesium sulfate compound may be painful and could irritate an open wound.

It's good to soak egg bound hens in it but not so much for an open wound.

While some health care providers may recommend a warm bath with Epsom salt for conditions such as sore muscles or to relieve psoriasis, soaking opens wounds in the magnesium sulfate compound may be painful and could irritate an open wound.

It's good to soak egg bound hens in it but not so much for an open wound.
Thank you for telling me that.I had know clue.someone told me that on here.I now recommend just keeping the wound clean

KikisGirls has really helped you a lot. There is nothing wrong with using plain neosporin/polysorin/or triple antibiotic ointment on the wound. If you read back through a lot of threads on these types of wounds, the ointment helps to heal it. Instead there is a product called Vetericyn Wound Spray from feed stores that can just be sprayed on, and no rubbing or blotting is needed. As long as she eats and drinks, and you can keep flies out of the wound, it should close together. It sounds as though the flap of skin may need to be trimmed off, but I would use caution, and do what you think is best. It will not re-attach itself. Good luck to you. P.S.--I would file down or trim the rooster's spurs to dull them--this is how many hens end up with these sorts of wounds from mating.

Chickens are good about healing themselves.
I would say the most important thing is to keep her safe and secure so she doesn't injure it worse.
The meds should help her to not get an infection, which would probably be more likely to kill her.
Keep it clean and she should be just fine.

You may want to rethink about keeping a rooster.

Thank you very much for the encouraging words. She is in relatively good spirits, hearty appetite, but obvious pain. I see the trembling in the one leg w/the wound above. We have her in a crate to sleep the night in and tomorrow will baby sit as much as possible. The vet did nothing physically to her just gave me some precautionary cleanser and Rx for a/b and pain.
Yes, we took pics of the questionable offending rooster and will put him on Craigslist for about 35 bucks. He's a really gorgeous BCM but mean as hell.
I'm still so worried about her 'breast meat' fully exposed under the wing. She got a nice cleaning, an a/b, and a pain med, and free-range before being put up. I'm just not sure what to expect during this time of healing.
Thank you so much writing.

I don't think you can do anything else to help her, i think you are doing all you can do.
Try not to worry too much, I'm sure it's easier said then done, but think positive and she will be back to her happy self in no time!

I think your thinking of epsom salt but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea for this open would.

Back
Top Bottom