Ripped Skin

Hi!

So sorry to hear about your hen.
Well I can tell you one thing.My hen got attacked by a dog once, Had a chunk of skin, about, um, the size of a ten or twelve year olds fist, Maybe little smaller, taking right out of her poor behind.That was FOUR years ago.And guess what?She is still here with us now, a ripe old age of 8 years old, top of the pecking order and still laying.I do have to say she did become a little smaller after that tough.

I think your girl will be ABSOLUTLY fine!Keep it clean, away from any bugs or flys Aswell..

Best of Luck,
–CC1215

Hi!

So sorry to hear about your hen.
Well I can tell you one thing.My hen got attacked by a dog once, Had a chunk of skin, about, um, the size of a ten or twelve year olds fist, Maybe little smaller, taking right out of her poor behind.That was FOUR years ago.And guess what?She is still here with us now, a ripe old age of 8 years old, top of the pecking order and still laying.I do have to say she did become a little smaller after that tough.

I think your girl will be ABSOLUTLY fine!Keep it clean, away from any bugs or flys Aswell..

Best of Luck,
–CC1215
That is such an encouraging experience :) I'm becoming more positive because of this site. Thank you so much!!

This is why I ordered sutures to add to my chicken first aid. Thankfully my son-in-law can suture this kind of wound. We had a young cockerel get a big piece of his neck pecked opened and had to use regular needle and thread. Fortunately he is doing fine, but all I could think was no way this chick can survive with this big hole. And luckily we got to him right after it happened.

Sweet Pea July 13.png

It's August 3rd, and the wound now looks like this, much better.
Not sure how this curled skin will end up but probably won't straight out. That is actually the flap of skin. Probably would've been better to cut the flap off. But I'm did not know how to do this. The skin was alive and she'd be in much pain if I tried. We clean it once a day w/the Chlorhexidine solution. This stuff is quite good. I highly recommend it. You just mix a small amount in a squirt bottle till the solution looks to be very light blue color. The pure stuff is solid bright blue. I saw it on Amazon in a small size. It will last a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Chlor...&qid=1501774885&sr=8-3&keywords=chlorhexidine

I do have betadine, and normally I use a solution of that, but the vet said its ok at first,
but long use would cause necrosis and it prevents healing. Dag, didn't know this! She said to trust her on that because this stuff is the standard for cleaning wounds and promoting healing of wound. By the looks of it, she's right.

Will update another pic at the end of the month. Hope this is helpful to anyone reading. :)

IMG_0832.jpg

Thank you for the update. The wound looks very good, and glad to hear she is better. About the betadine, everything seems to be okay for awhile, but not helpful to use forever. Just reading about betadine, Neosporin, BluKote (gentian violet,) and hydrogen peroxide--all have some benefit, but used for long periods or in excess may be toxic or prevent healing.

I'm so glad she is healing up nicely for you!
Thanks for the update....I've been thinking about her, but had a hard time finding my way back to this thread.

I'm so glad she is healing up nicely for you!
Thanks for the update....I've been thinking about her, but had a hard time finding my way back to this thread.
Great, I'm glad you found it :) It was just as I was told, it should heal up well and the scab just forms over and turns into skin. It sure is. Was told to keep it clean and it would heal, and it did! LOL Thank you and all!

Back
Top Bottom