RIR and Barred Rock -- now with pictures! (Was hens and spurs?)

gwynhwyfar

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 6, 2008
Around April 25th, I bought 7 day-old chicks. They were, in theory, all girls, but I was expecting one boy just because of the nature of sexing day-olds. Four Barred Rock, three Rhode Island Reds.

EVERYONE is developing nubs/spurs and no one seems to have overly large combs and while I'm sure there are other things to look for, I don't know what they are (can you say 'newbie chicken tender'?).

One of my Barred Rocks has that odd coloring -- the one that looks more white than black, so I'm guessing that's a rooster. But other than that ... is it possible that I have a whole slew of hens that are developing spurs? The odds that all 7 would be roosters seems kinda ... astronomical. Help??

I'll try to get some pictures, but they don't cooperate all that well and don't tend to stay still when I want them to. Goofy things.

Last edited:
I have hens that have spurs but they are the pheonix. Not the reg laying hens. It is supposed to be a stronger line to have your hens having spurs but I have never heard of the Barreds or the RIR or any like that that would have them. Mostly you hear about game birds having the spurs as hens. I found the ones that have spurs on my hens are feirce mothers & will attack you, very strong type chickens when they have chicks. The one w/the black on white should be a roo. But if you are going by the nubs I will tell you my Astrolorpe hens have nubs & they are laying so they just may not develope into actual spurs just may stay as nubs. That seems to be what has happened w/my laying hens. Hope that helps--That has been my exp so far.

I do not believe you can really go by the nubs on the birds at that age. All birds have a hint of a nub, but the hens will not continue growing after a few months.
Of course, like Bitty said, there are exceptions and some hens do get spurs. I have had Barred Rocks with them and Cochin Bantams with them so its completely possible.

I have hens with spurs. Most probably genetically defective 'cause I ordered from Ideal. I have 2 buttercup hens with spurs, one welsummer with spurs, one speckled sussex with one spur and I think one of my EE has a spur...I'll have to go check and edit this post to reflect the acurate count on my hens with spurs.

Edited to read: OK, after more careful inspection (OH I wish they'd stand still for a minute!) I officially have only one Sicilian buttercup hen with spurs--two huge and wicked looking ones, one Speckled sussex with 2 equally huge and wicked looking spurs, and my Welsummer hen has one spur. All in all, not as bad as I had previously thought. (thought I had more hens with spurs). Do you remove the spurs on hens with the same method used on roos? I've removed spurs on roos before but I've let my hens grow out all of their lives (three years).

Last edited:
Pics would help.

But I would say the BR with more white is a roo. That is how it worked out with mine. As for the RIR I have no clue.

big_smile.png

All my polish hens have spur nubs when young, and by age 3 they have actual spurs. And I thought removing spurs from the rooster was a pain, now I have 2 older girls with them.

Quote:
They don't stand still! I try to get them to cooperate and they just are never motionless. I'm still trying to get some clean images to post here so that you good folks can give me an idea. When will it generally be clear, age-wise?

ETA: At this point, they're about a week shy of being three months old.

I can haz pictures! They were more-or-less cooperative this morning -- they've taken to hanging out under this roof that extends in front of the house and under a lilac bush and other bushes under the roof.

I have a pretty wing ... am I a roo? (Mama wants me to be a girl, but she thinks I have a too-long tail to be a girl.)
2682531368_12feeba67d.jpg

Am I maybe a girl?
2681715615_5da5c3a078.jpg

Group shot! Barred Rock roo, Barred Rock girl, Barred Rock girl-butt, RIR butts ...?
2682541542_68e5bfa479.jpg

Human-mama thinks we're girls!
2682546502_d7f6c8c933.jpg

Last edited:
I think your RIR in the first photo is a hen. Looks just like mine, and has a typical hen comb and build.

I can't see the details in the other pics are well, so I'm not 100%, but it looks like the BR's are hens too.

The only one I'd question is the lighter BR.......I just can't see it well enough to say. I have one barred rock hen that has always been considerably lighter than the other, and that's how we've always been able to tell them apart, but now at 12 weeks, she's darkened and they look just alike except for a slight difference in the comb shape.

I'm pretty new to all this too, but they sure look like hens to me.

Back
Top Bottom