RIR + Barred rock with pics. what do you think?

Ronithailand

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 9, 2012
Thailand
Hi, I am new to this site and to the whole chicken raising thing.

I live in Thailand, in a suburban area, so I cant really have roosters...

I bought 1 RIR and 1 Barred rock pullets a week ago at about 10 weeks old (now they should be 11weeks) and took these pictures today. I am not really warried about my barred rock. she is very dark and lady like body. (dark on the front of the legs and such..)

I am worried about the RIR. although "she" has a small yellow comb and not much wattle for 11 weeks, I heard this is common to grow slow in RIR roosters as well.

I would like to know what you guys think.

This is my RIR i am quite worried about "Her" legs seems a bit menish to me, and "her" back part is a bit small.

My barred rock 11 weeks pullet.

Its not very clear in this picture, but my RIR has some shiny neck feathers.

welcome-byc.gif

I see two pullets! It's very normal for RIR pullets to have beautiful shiny neck feathers. An RIR rooster would have a much bigger comb by now.
smile.png

Thank you for your answers.

I see that a lot of threads dont follow up until the end, and you dont know what it turned out.

I will try to follow up on this thread and advise again once I know for sure (pullet will be laying or crowing...
smile.png
)

Roni.

Wow, Thats so nice to hear.

In most of the posts people somewhat disagree if its cockerels or pullets.

I already fell in love with them, it would have been hell to send one away...

Just to make sure....
wink.png
... in below picture, she still looks like a pullet?

She is a pullet. And she's very pretty to! Yes it's normal for RIRs to have shiny neck feathers. My RIR girl had very shiny neck feathers and I thought she was a cockerel, but when she was older, I new she was a pullet. Because she LAYED!!!

Hi HillsChicks,

I dont think we have New Hampshire Reds here in Thailand.

She might be a Rhode Island reds mix. (not many pure birds here).

Back
Top Bottom