RIR mix genders?

ValerieZ1984

Chirping
Jun 6, 2016
Clayton, NC
The person I got these from hatched from a mixed flock, they said RIR mix so I guessed that's what the roo was. They are somewhere in the area of 8/9 weeks old. What do you think?

IMG_1329.JPG IMG_1330.JPG IMG_1331.JPG IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG IMG_1336.JPG IMG_1337.JPG IMG_1338.JPG

Darn, I was suspicious weeks ago but this confirms it. Was sold them as pullets and told older than they actually were Such is life I guess. My first chickens so I'm learning

15 chicks and got 11 cockerels 3 pullets (at least the Polish is very much looking pullet) and 1 unknown with a roo comb & pullet feathers

The person I got these from hatched from a mixed flock, they said RIR mix so I guessed that's what the roo was. They are somewhere in the area of 8/9 weeks old. What do you think?

View attachment 1085974 View attachment 1085975 View attachment 1085976 View attachment 1085978

View attachment 1085979 View attachment 1085980 View attachment 1085981 View attachment 1085982

Cockerels

Darn, I was suspicious weeks ago but this confirms it. Was sold them as pullets and told older than they actually were Such is life I guess. My first chickens so I'm learning

15 chicks and got 11 cockerels 3 pullets (at least the Polish is very much looking pullet) and 1 unknown with a roo comb & pullet feathers

If you have too many roosters check out this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-flocks.1174877/

Did you get them all from the same source? Sounds like someone dumped their cockerels on you. Though I will say my male/female hatch rate is sadly similar on most occasions.

Lots of chicken dinners I guess.

No, I got 6 Polish from one NPIP breeder (ended up with 5/1 cockerels) 7 EEs from another (2 pullets, 1 unknown, 4 cockerels) and these two I got from a flock swap from someone selling a trio with an obvious cockerel and these two. He was willing to separate when I asked because I said I had enough roos popping up in my flock at home. These did look much different than the male back then, he looked like they did now.

Just my bad luck, although a lot of people around here seem to be getting lots of boys too. Year of the rooster around me haha

Back
Top Bottom