RIR, NHR or sexlinks? And BO?

sherrydeanne

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
At my computer, where are you?
I apologize ahead of time, the pics are more blurry than I'd like them to be. I ordered these from Estes, and they carry RIR, NHR, sexlinks and cherry eggers. Is there any way to tell the difference this young? I need to sell some and want to get it right. Some have much lighter bellies and no striping, I'm thinking these could be the NHR's?

Also, this is a BO; too light to be a red sexlink or cherry egger, right? The tiny wingtips are awfully white which is worrying me.

102_1532.jpg

Side and then top view of two different varieties:

This chick and one friend have much lighter, almost yellow bellies and chins. The other one doesn't have a line at all on top of its head. Feathers have white barring.
102_1533.jpg

102_1534.jpg

Darker -- RIR or production red? Much darker wing tips.
102_1535.jpg

102_1536.jpg

Any helpful hints to tell these 7 chickens apart? I've seen a lot of RIR's with that chipmunkish stripe, do sexlinks have that as well? I've only had golden sexlinks before, not red so I don't know if they're normally as dark.

THANKS!!

Last edited:
The red ones are really hard to tell apart- especially when they are production birds. The barring on the feathers will go away as they get older. If you're going to give some away, I'd keep a few of each color just in case. As for the first chick- it looks like a white rock. Buff would be buff, not yellow.

i think #1 a white rock.
#2 is a NHR, because a RIR or PR wouldn't have any barred coming in.
#3 is a RIR or PR, hard to tell between the two.
if its red and the feathers coming in are barred than it is a NHR.
if its red and the feathers coming in are not barred its a PR or RIR.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you! I have 3 that are getting white/red barred wingtips in and those are the ones I thought were NHR's. 3 have brown/red feathers and there's one with a dark streak down it's back with dark feathers. I think the last one may be the actual RIR, guess we'll see in a few weeks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom