RIR or NHR? Hen or Rooster?

I've not heard of Production Reds till now so thanks for all that info. Im in Australia and I've not heard of the name 'Production Reds' being used.

Do you think that is definitely a hen too?
Definitely. The black hackles usually appear on females (though I've seen it once on a male).

Sorry my screen didn't load properly I've just read everyone's comments. Thanks so much. That was informative. Im in Australia and I've not seen the name "Production Reds" being used.

Thanks Rhodebar Lover. Sorry I missed your comment. My ph is slow with loading up the comments.

I'm glad she's a hen \o/. Here's a pic of how much she's loved. Plenty of cuddles from the kids lol

Thank you so much! I've read that Red Sex-Link x Red Sex-Link cross will not produce sex-linked offspring, but what kind of offspring would that produce? I though I read that it would produce mostly chicks with male coloration, but wasn't sure.

You're welcome. RSL X RSL doesn't produce Production Reds (or anything else); just barnyard mixes with red and white feathering. PR X PR will produce PR (red gene offspring).

Im actually going with a NewHampshire.That looks like a true newhamp to me.But she is definatlly a pullet.

Production reds usually don't have black on the mane...

Now that's interesting. What do you all think. She does have the black bit on her mane. She was bought as a chick under the breed of RIR. That's why its confusing.. plus the tail too. When I google chicken breeds sold in Australia, ProductionReds isn't listed.

Back
Top Bottom