RIR pullets- white egg??? Orange egg????

2x ... I store mine in an egg carton on the counter until it's full then in the frig, washing prior to using. IF there's shavings stuck, I just brush them off ... Luckily so far clean eggs but if there's some poop or blood, I wipe or wash depending how dirty, put in the frig and use next. The age old questions - To wash or not? Refrigerate or not? Made myself crazy figuring which to do.

2x ... I store mine in an egg carton on the counter until it's full then in the frig, washing prior to using. IF there's shavings stuck, I just brush them off ... Luckily so far clean eggs but if there's some poop or blood, I wipe or wash depending how dirty, put in the frig and use next. The age old questions - To wash or not? Refrigerate or not? Made myself crazy figuring which to do.

These weren't just stuck- I had to scratch them off the egg with my nails even after I got it wet :hmm

That happens. The stuff really is a good sealant. If you ever catch a hen laying an egg in the box, you’ll see how wet they are coming out. It sets and dries really quickly.
Unless the hen lays with their butt toward the opening, I doubt it. My nesting boxes are rubbermaid totes with a hole cut out one of the short sides :) If I see them in there, I don't open the lid because I don't want them to freak out while laying and associate the nest box with fear, especially as they're new layers.

Aren't your chickens new layers? They are just getting the factory going. You can have strange eggs at the beginning - even the middle - and most likely at the end of their laying career.
Bloom is like spray paint, if there is a kink in the system, the color won't finish. Also, all hens are individual so some eggs might not look like others. Plus, maybe the odd ones are from your newest layers.
If you are feeding and watering them properly, there should be no concerns about the lack of bloom or excess. There are egg issues, but you don't have any yet. Lots of good articles on byc regarding eggs, new layers, etc.

How is something they ate influencing eggshell color? I thought that was a natural pigment secreted in their shell gland?
No, the variation of color coating is not influenced by 'something they ate'...at least in general.
It's normal for different birds to have different shades of brown coating over the white egg shell...and the pullet eggs may change over the nest few weeks.
Even older birds can have variance of coating color throughout the season,
it can fade as season progresses.
I've had a couple birds that lay/laid orangeish eggs....it's kind of astounding.
I still marvel at the variations.

Back
Top Bottom