1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

RIR Roo or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stoutfamily, Apr 19, 2011.

1. stoutfamily

stoutfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    I posted on here a few weeks ago about my RIR and had responses all saying girl but now I'm starting to worry again.

Her comb is starting to get red and she's starting to get bumps on the back of her legs (although our EE who I'm 90% sure is a girl has little bumps there too).
    Today makes her 10 weeks old and all the pictures were taken this past week so she's 9-10 weeks here. I haven't heard any crowing, just some squeeking at me. Our WE does tend to follow this one around a bit. I only have two chickens so I'm not sure what to look for in too behavior, especially this young.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I do not know why, but RIR are hard for me to tell - I wanna say pullet. I had two bantams and thought one was a pullet until Chris09 told me it was actually a cockerel. [​IMG]

I am not sure, so will give you a bump. Hopefully a RIR expert will come along and say.

3. Steergirl

Steergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    I think pullet.

4. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    i raised RIRs - can tell you with a 99.8% garuntee that at 10weeks that is a pullet [​IMG]

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Young Rooster, (and a Production Red)

Chris

6. Steergirl

Steergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    Quote:Again these are hatchery birds, and hatchery birds=low quality RIR.

7. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    I say pullet. My roo Red is a hatchery bird and he looked like yours at @ 4wks old. He's almost 8 wks old now and there is no question as to his gender. His comb and wattles are triple the size of the ones showing on yours. [​IMG]

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Again these are hatchery birds, and hatchery birds=low quality RIR.

There Production Red!!
    I have see all types of low quality Red's and the OP's birds are not one of them.....

Chris

9. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    I am going to say Pullet..I don't see any saddle feathers and her comb is there but her face is not all red...My lady next door has 23 RIR that look just like yours...and at that age they looked just like yours...they all turned out to be pullets.I have 1 RIR that was an older hen when I got her....but with that being said....I am not 100% sure...I am not very good at the sexing yet...either way...very nice looking chicken!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by