RIR, White Leghorn mix coloring question

Chickycammy

Songster
6 Years
Feb 15, 2018
North Carolina
I have a 19-day old female RIR, WHite Leghorn mix that has been getting her feathers and I thought she'd be solid white as she was at hatching, yet now she has 1 black feather. I don't see any other black feathers on her so I'm wondering if this means she won't be solid white like her mom in the future or am I getting my hopes up that she'll forever have 1 black feather?

Attachments

• 20180322_213032.jpg
    20180322_213032.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 15
Also, usually RIR cross white leghorns give isa brown hens and white males so I'm surprised you've got a white female since that cross is sex linked

No, the cross is not sex linked. White Leghorns cannot be used in any color sex linked crosses.

White Leghorn crosses often do have flecks of black. She may have it when she matures, or it may molt out. You will have to wait and see.

No, the cross is not sex linked. White Leghorns cannot be used in any color sex linked crosses.

White Leghorn crosses often do have flecks of black. She may have it when she matures, or it may molt out. You will have to wait and see.

This is my first time breeding so I wasn't sure. I had heard that white washes out every other color out so I was shocked to see that black feather pop up.

Oh sorry I was confusing myself with the RIR X RIW lol

Back
Top Bottom