RIR

Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana, glad you joined.

Are RIR good starter chickens
It depends on your goals. Why do you want chickens? If it is for eggs or eggs and meat, about any of the dual purpose chickens will work well for you. If you are wanting something else them maybe something else will work better. Climate can play a part. If you have serious cold winters, below 0 F, single combed chickens can be more susceptible to frostbite than some others. Do you want a hen that will go broody and hatch and raise chicks? Or do you want to avoid a broody hen?

I understand you want a starter chicken and may not even know what your ultimate goals will be. They often change as you gain experience.

Some people do not like RIR's. They consider them to be mean to other chickens or to people. Others absolutely love them. You can find good chickens or bad chickens of any breed. Without knowing any of your desires, I'd consider RIR a good choice.

Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana, glad you joined.

It depends on your goals. Why do you want chickens? If it is for eggs or eggs and meat, about any of the dual purpose chickens will work well for you. If you are wanting something else them maybe something else will work better. Climate can play a part. If you have serious cold winters, below 0 F, single combed chickens can be more susceptible to frostbite than some others. Do you want a hen that will go broody and hatch and raise chicks? Or do you want to avoid a broody hen?

I understand you want a starter chicken and may not even know what your ultimate goals will be. They often change as you gain experience.

Some people do not like RIR's. They consider them to be mean to other chickens or to people. Others absolutely love them. You can find good chickens or bad chickens of any breed. Without knowing any of your desires, I'd consider RIR a good choice.
As of now we want laying hens that are pretty weather resistant

Elsewhere you said you were in Wisconsin. That means cold winters. I'd look for a breed with a smaller comb, something like a Wyandotte, Buckeye, Ameraucana, a Brahma maybe but they are pretty big. Maybe Chantecler or Dominique. You might look at one of those.

I am new to chickens and have RIRs. Weather conditions aside, they have thus far survived ME, which is no easy feat. We are making the coop inside the garage which I am hopeful will assist them in surviving the winter (a state south and a few west). So far I would highly recommend them for newbies who want eggs and possibly meat.

Back
Top Bottom