RIR's and New Hampshire Reds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
What Facts?
The only facts you have is that you have birds from Murray McMurray. You have No facts on if that bird is a R.I. Red of not.
You can keep all the records you want it isn't going to make them any less a production red/ hatchery bird..

Chris

spartacus made some good points but cmon man! you have production reds, if you took them to a show, you would have a dq for unknown breed. glad you are happy with them but i have had both kinds.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
they are nice birds

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
they are nice birds

They are nice birds, yes I will give them that but a R.I. Red they are not.

Chris

OK,
Your Bird will not meet ALBC standard to be marketed as a Heritage bird because t he do not meet the ASOP breed standard.
As I stated before if you read page 32 under DQ's you will see the any bird that lacks in breed characteristics can be DQ'ed and your bird lacks in breed characteristics.
From the picture you posted I can see that bird lacks in flatness of back, length of back, broadness of back, brick shape, lacks in uniform color.

If a judge wanted to they could DQ your bird for lack of breed characteristic.

To tell you the truth what you have are red chickens that a hatchery called a Rhode Island Red....

Chris

You are either a very gifted judge or you just do not like my birds because they come from a hatchery. From the picture I posted, you would not be able to tell any of those traits unless you work for CSI (cause they got all the neat toys.)

Fortunately for us backyard folks, the ALBC does not require that we have perfect SQ birds. On a side note, I have not found anywhere in any governing body that regulates egg sales that requires a standard for marketing eggs or chick sales under Heritage. Just a thought. If you know of one, please direct me.​

Quote:
Wow, my bird next to a champion! Don has a good looking bird, but I can't say there is that much difference considering Don's bird has been selectively bred for unknown generations by an expert, and a first generation Roo from a novice. Now show me one of Don's early line Roos.

I was told when I purchased my first chickens in April (they were 4 week old at the time) from a local farmers market, I was told that they were RIRs. My roosters are not as dark as the pic someone posted of a TRUE RIR, and my hens are definitely a lot lighter! What do you think? Are they Rhode Island Reds, Production Reds, New Hampshires Or something else? My hens also started laying at 16 weeks and my roosters are HUGE!

72754_sany7602.jpg

72754_sany7595.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom