Rissy’s Habitat

Normally mostly fully feathered around 4 weeks. Other than my initial 12 all went out to the barn after a day or two. Of course it is warmer in early June than early March. I'm sure that is true in MI as well.

It is a lot easier with a Mama Heating Pad in the brooder (inside or out) than dealing with a heat lamp.
So what is a Mama Heating Pad I hear about it so much
Mine were mostly feathered by 6 weeks. I'm mean and will chuck them outside even with down😇
HA!

Mama heating pad thread

Basically is it a cave you make with a wire frame covered with a heating pad that either doesn't have auto shut off or a way to defeat that. Closest thing to a mama hen :D Cheaper than a heat plate, can be formed to your specific needs every time you brood chicks and the pad is useful by people when you aren't using it to brood new chicks, which is most of the time for most of us.

Here is the one I used in June 2021 made from a piece of wire shelving.
IMG_0290.jpeg

and here is where they are when they went out to the barn the next day
IMG_0299.jpeg

But I don't always have a broody hen at the right time so the kids go out to the barn at ~3 days old with their non mobile Mama. This one was made from a piece of wire fencing

DSCN0939.JPG

That is the cave over on the right side. As you can see, the chicks don't need constant heat even in an old, unheated northern Vermont barn in early May. Last frost here, probably like where you are, is about the last day of May. These girls likely never saw ambient temps as high as even 70°F during their first month out in the barn.

Mama heating pad thread

Basically is it a cave you make with a wire frame covered with a heating pad that either doesn't have auto shut off or a way to defeat that. Closest thing to a mama hen :D Cheaper than a heat plate, can be formed to your specific needs every time you brood chicks and the pad is useful by people when you aren't using it to brood new chicks, which is most of the time for most of us.

Here is the one I used in June 2021 made from a piece of wire shelving.
View attachment 3425620

and here is where they are when they went out to the barn the next day
View attachment 3425625
But I don't always have a broody hen at the right time so the kids go out to the barn at ~3 days old with their non mobile Mama. This one was made from a piece of wire fencing

View attachment 3425627

That is the cave over on the right side. As you can see, the chicks don't need constant heat even in an old, unheated northern Vermont barn in early May. Last frost here, probably like where you are, is about the last day of May. These girls likely never saw ambient temps as high as even 70°F during their first month out in the barn.
I might try that next time we get chicks. I don't know if we will get some more before the season is over or not

Back
Top Bottom