roaches for chickens

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Nope
I've noticed several people raise smelly, nasty, cannibalistic meal worms and crickets for their chickens . . . can you tell I'm not a fan? I tried to be subtle
smile.png

I was wondering how many people were aware of roaches as food treats for chickens? I know, I know . . . when my guy first mentioned getting roaches, I was absolutely horrified. But after a few years of raising them, and the blessing of being able to do away with the other two bugs, I've been thrilled at his foresight.
We keep three kinds of roaches; lobsters, false death heads, and goldies. Other than when I am actively disturbing them, the roaches don't produce any smell (when I disturb them, they produce it as a form of defense, but I find it is much less offensive smelling than crickets). They require very little to eat and drink, and I never had to worry about them dying in mass when I'm on vacation like I did with the meal worms and crickets. Thousands can be raised in a ten gallon container, provided there is adequate ventilation and egg crate to run around on, and a simple smear line of vaseline ensures there are no escapees whenever you need to grab a handful. They don't even require any dirt or vermiculite to lay eggs in, like crickets, because they don't lay eggs.
I know as I type this many people will be picturing the horrid american cockroach everyone knows and hates, but I can assure you that these species will not attract our native roach to your homes, and they can't cause an infestation in your house (or outside of it) because they are not suited to the environment. On that last point I can't speak for Florida, as everything seems to thrive there
smile.png

I know the ookiness factor can be a big deterrent, but I just thought I'd put this out there in case anyone was interested. Looking back, I know I would have never believed anyone had they told me one day I would be happy to be harboring roaches in my home! I just know they are alot less work than other feeder insects I've dealt with, they involve almost no mess (I can't remember the last time I had to clean out a roach container), and our chickens love them.

Instead of raising them why not just rent your chickens to people in under maintained apartment complexes. The chickens would have a field day.
big_smile.png

Lol . . . I like to pretend my chickens are more discerning than that, but I have serious doubts everytime I see them scratching through manure piles for tasty tidbits
big_smile.png

Instead of raising them why not just rent your chickens to people in under maintained apartment complexes. The chickens would have a field day.

LOL! No kidding!! Good job F.T., I'm happy to see the roaches getting eaten, alittle repulsed at having them as a part of my food source on the backside, but that's just one of my quirks! Now the new question will be, which came first, the cockroach or the egg?! Guess we have no idea what they actually do eat all day long when we aren't monitoring, lol! I hope if there are roaches in or near my pen they get eaten before they multiply!!
smile.png

FYI.........
fowltemptress is talkin about the the hissing coakroach.
And as she says, they CANNOT survive in our temperate zone so even if any escape they will die off.
I am not sure what the other two are she raises , i have raised 3 different types also but can't recall the other two right now.One is most likely the giant flying roach ?
The southern palmetto bug, florida roach,does well and normaly won't survive our northern temperate zone but if yer house is warm enough, THEY WILL ADAPT AND BREED IN YER HOME.

Quote:
I do have hissers, but they are seperated by sex as I don't want them breeding. They're just pets. As feeders go, hissers have too hard an exoskeleton and don't breed nearly fast enough to be of any practical use to me. I don't have that Florida roach; I was careful in choosing roaches that were pretty much worthless survivers outside of their little cage. Even so, with an inch of vaseline and a tight lid I've never had trouble with them escaping.

* PUL--LEEZ, FT!, Stay FAR from FL with your 'pets'!! We have MORE than enough native AND IMPORTED species of critters down here, and now they're telling us they've verified at least EIGHT varieties of pythons, including ANACONDAS!!!!!
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom