Roaster with pimple on breast?

Silkiechickens10

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2019
Minnesota
I've had chickens for almost a year and a half. I was cuddling my bantam silkie rooster last night when I noticed the base of his breast bone looked irritated. I assumed it was from mating. We have 11 hens and this one roo, wich I know is too many hens for just one rooster, but we hatched chicks this past spring, and the roosters from that flock just didnt get along with our original flock. I figured having too many hens wouldnt be a problem. But back to the rooster, I have scabbing lotion that hardens on the skin and helps to scab it over. I went to put some on his tummy, because I thought it must be irritating for him, although I have yet to see him act differently or lethargic etc. When I went to put the lotion on I noticed a quarter dollar sized what looks like a dilated pore on the side of his stomach. Touching it didnt seem to bother him. My first instinct was to squeeze it out, wich I started to do, but I stopped because I dont know much. I wanted to research it first. Obviously I didnt put anything on it this far. It doesnt seem to bother him whatsoever, but I'm concerned it may lead to something, so I'm wondering should I squeeze it? Or will that cause infection? Have other people seen this in roosters? Specifically with too many hens? Is it a silkie thing? Anything would be helpful, I will try to get a picture later today, if you google a dilated pore on Google it looks identical.

I wonder if it could be a breast blister or button that has formed an abscess? Does he roost on the ground or on a roost at night. These scabs on chickens can abscess and contain pus. They may be a result of a rough roost that needs padding, or roosting on damp or soiled bedding. It may be good to clean it out, and apply some Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) about $10 at Walmart, with water to disinfect it. Here is a link to read:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/miscellaneous-conditions-of-poultry/breast-buttons-in-poultry

upload_2019-10-6_12-55-13.jpeg

I wonder if it could be a breast blister or button that has formed an abscess? Does he roost on the ground or on a roost at night. These scabs on chickens can abscess and contain pus. They may be a result of a rough roost that needs padding, or roosting on damp or soiled bedding. It may be good to clean it out, and apply some Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) about $10 at Walmart, with water to disinfect it. Here is a link to read:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/miscellaneous-conditions-of-poultry/breast-buttons-in-poultry

View attachment 1927230
Thank you! That is accually a great point. We have a large, walk in coop the size of a back yard shed. Our chickens have been roosting up in the ceiling but we recently walked that off and installed new roosts, wich all of the hens can get up on, except for our roo. He lays on the ground until I come in at night to put him up there. I will make sure to disinfect it. Would you recommend extracting it?
20191006_113804.jpg

Back
Top Bottom