Rock Hen Comb and Waddle changing color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenscott, Jun 13, 2010.

1. chickenscott

chickenscott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Pacific NW
    My Coop
    Hi - got a one year old Rock hen that in the past few weeks has had her comb and waddle change from red to a dull orange/yellow. She is eating well - egg production has dropped by half - used to get two a day now one. She lives with her sister and they both seems to be in good health and eating well, poo looks normal. There have been a few feathers in the coop like one is molting. Is this a normal event? I have inspected for bugs and disease but all looks fine. I have been dusting the coop all winter (every few weeks). Any ideas? I could post a pic if you all think it would help. Thank you all in advance.

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Sounds like a molt to me. When I have 3 or 4 in a pen molting, it looks like someone came and yanked all their feathers out. They can look pretty scroungy for a while.

3. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I agree that it sounds like molting.

4. chickenscott

chickenscott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Pacific NW
    My Coop
    Thanks - I will continue to watch. They were molting some. I was worried for a awhile. Will be nice when we get some summer weather here in the Pacific NW.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by