Rockporter’s Emu Chat

Rockporters

Songster
Apr 9, 2019
New Hampshire
Now that the hatch is done... it has been an adventure! I’m going to include the good, the bad, and the stupid :oops:, for any newbies considering emu. Here’s what I’ve learned this past week:

Raising emu chicks is exhausting.

If you think chicks and chickens have a death wish, you’ve never spent time with an emu chick. O.M.G. They give new meaning to kamikaze and suicidal tendencies.

Picking up and holding emu chicks is like trying to hold on to a greased pig. Actually, it is like holding onto a greased pig while it is having convulsions. 🧐 Granted I’ve never seen, let alone tried to hold onto a greased pig, especially one that was convulsing, but...

Every part of their body moves in a different direction, at full speed, as they wiggle away from you with all of their might.

When you set them down, their legs are already spinning. They usually face plant and do somersaults.

Speed kicks in before coordination. No wonder they can have so many leg issues.

Whatever you use to cage/block them in, they will attempt to get through/over/around it, at any cost. Usually with them face planting or doing somersaults.

Dogs with spots, nails, ears, lips, eyes, or any other body parts ... are targets for emu chicks. Repeat for dogs without spots. They nip, tug, and hold on for dear life while walking or falling backwards. We didn’t separate dogs and emus soon enough, and the little dog got fed up and bit one of the emu on the beak. Bleeding has stopped, we will see how it does. It was totally our fault, we should have separated them much sooner. Lesson learned. Btw Cat whiskers are lots of fun to pull out too!

Convincing emu chicks to eat and drink is ridiculously difficult. They won’t drink out of a bowl, but they will trip and fall into it numerous times. They will peck at every dirt spot, yet not “see” the bowl of food right in front of them. Putting kale into their water or food to grab their attention... :lau :lau:lau Mine hate kale. One does like carrots, so there is that. I’ve tried the ‘putting a chick in with them’ trick. That lasted until they started moving around-reread the nipping and tugging paragraph, substitute chick for dog.

Enjoy the first few poop free days. ‘Nuff said.

On the positive side:

They are cute, and super cuddly.

They have whistling conversations with you and answer back nearly every time.

They follow you everywhere. Everywhere! They enact kamikaze mode to catch up if you dare leave them behind.

If you force them to hold still for 30 seconds, they will fall asleep on you for at least 15 minutes.

They are curious and brave. So far nothing scares them. Perhaps this should go with the kamikaze remark lol.

They love to cuddle and fall sleep on you. They prefer your body heat to a heat lamp every single time.

And.. we haven’t managed to kill them yet, so that’s a bonus! :celebrate

Pics to come soon!

1586069993510.png

Never forgotten this photo
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2028493/Meet-Newby-family--share-home-pet-EMU-Beaky.html

So far, Baby C‘s (that is what my 27 year old son called abc’s lol) and Bumble B. LOL We haven’t come up with anything, we’re just using what we called them in the eggs. Hopefully we will think of something soon.
Aww cuties!! I love emus. My “neighbor” in the country has some and I always look for them when I drive by.
They look like little leopards:)

So exciting to see you with those emus! So looking forward to having them...

All this stuff is good to know. Thank you for sharing :) I’ll upload some pictures once ours come home.

Yes videos prease.
I’m looking forward to yours arriving! Can’t wait to see pics and hear about the adventures. What day do you get them?

We are enjoying them. I moved them to a “run” in the living room. More learned lessons...

Carpet, even indoor/outdoor, is a dilemma while the weather is cold. We can’t have hoses hooked up yet, and certainly nothing is going to dry outside. So.. what to use under them? I put puppy pads over their fake grass carpet. It is okay, but they move them around, and... poop on the carpet. :he Today, I’m going to look for bigger pads.

The transition from small cage to run has been trying. The (suspected) girl is loud and unhappy being able to see life going on outside their run.

They obsessively rush the fencing. They can almost fit through the bars, and they are convinced that running at it faster, head on, will be the trick to getting through it.:he

Here is what has worked well so far:

A small dog cage for the first week, not a large one. They could practice standing up, but not have enough space to flop around a lot and hurt themselves. It was easier to get the temp right for them too. You can set the heat lamp right on top of the cage, too, because it is just the right distance.

A heating pad at the front of the cage, heat lamp at the back. Their tummy is supposed to be kept warm, and this also gives them warmth if they move away from the lamp.

When they are moved to a bigger area, they still like to have a small cage to sleep in. We’re leaving the door open to it, and they prefer to be in it for daytime naps and nighttime sleeping.

They love orange and red things. They ignore kale and spinach. Shredded carrots have been a lifesaver for teaching them to eat.

Where did you get these lovely diapers?! Might have to break out this here ancient sewing machine for the miniature dinosaur diapers...
2C37C83F-2A6F-4A4E-B184-27804EC906FD.jpeg

We’re off to play with the birds outside. The little ducklings and chicks don’t view life the same. So brooding them together isn’t working the greatest. Building a duck house from pallets and a collapsible bed frame. This will be interesting.

Attachments

• 77CCF66A-D95D-4AC7-953E-5463A2827A2A.jpeg
    77CCF66A-D95D-4AC7-953E-5463A2827A2A.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1
@Rockporters

The duck house has begun. I junked the pallet idea, as it took me a half hour to get 4 boards off. The nails were more like rusted screws. So went with plywood and trim instead. Still used/repurposed an old adjustable bed frame as the base. Works very well if you need a largeplatform. If looking at it from the back with the doors, it’s 5’ to 6’ wide (don’t remember) 3’ deep and 3’ high. Hard to do yourself, that’s for sure!

Not done yet, but it’s a work in progress.

Emus come home next Friday :wee

The emu house is going to be a bit more of a project. Keep forgetting it needs to be at least 7’ tall lol

28CEF9B1-1951-44CF-855E-1A873B8BEF29.jpeg

9FB84CBA-BEC0-41C5-8185-88708C2CED18.jpeg

A5BD75C5-5F8B-49F4-94A8-43042FDFD6F8.jpeg

BEA4F1D9-1EEA-412A-B1FB-228D317534E6.jpeg

5C349293-A1D1-4708-A88C-E43FA7FB829C.jpeg

Got tired and had to call it quits for the day.

How are your dinosaur birds doing? Still in the house I take it?

No emus yet 😒

Apparently the lady said they’re about to hatch... got to be kidding me?! This is conversation between my other half and her. So the information i originally received may have been incorrect.

But the duck house is done. Little fluffy babies aren’t little anymore and need their own space!
D63F5E43-9979-4297-A172-01081E029BAD.jpeg

6A3D7141-E33F-4169-930D-8E8E8AFC645D.jpeg

DB39AD57-0B5B-438C-AA57-BA17536AE356.jpeg

A0EDE222-6B4E-47B3-8F58-1A40B80EFC1A.jpeg

B149878A-EC39-4B31-9ECD-FD5C376782BB.jpeg

563333DB-3A56-4BAA-BD6A-991A60BBE336.jpeg

How are your little/big ones doing? Anymore info you can share with me lol. Need to prepare.

Back
Top Bottom