Rockporters’ Emu Hatch January’20

I’m sad to report that A quit this afternoon. :hit:hit He was moving and whistling this morning, but he did let out a couple of panicky sounding squeaks before I put him back in. I didn’t check him again until this afternoon, and he was gone. So sad.

Eggtopsy showed what I expected. He was ready to hatch. Veins had been absorbed, no visible egg sac, and all the membranes looked good. He was big, and his abdomen a bit swollen. I’d read the latter can happen when at the low end of weight loss, and that they could have trouble hatching on their own.

What I’ve learned in this process...
  • Emus truly don’t need added humidity if they aren’t losing weight. Even if your humidity readings are as low as 18%, go with it. He would have been screwed a lot sooner had I followed the 35% humidity thing that’s pushed in the groups on FB. I’m glad that I didn’t add water.
  • Taking them in and out of the incubator doesn’t seem to put them at risk for shrink wrap. His membranes were perfect. I had him in and out a lot. Nothing was dried out
  • If they have 3 days worth of air in an air cell, and it’s been longer than that since they sounded (pipped internally), go with your gut on helping. Even if it doesn’t make it, there’s a chance it isn’t going to make it anyway. Just my opinion based on this experience, but all of FB disagrees with me lol.
I am so frustrated that I listened to others and didn’t help, I wish I’d gone with my gut. It is heartbreaking when they don’t make it after 57 days of giving love and care!!
I’m so sorry Rockporter!!! So sad to have gotten so close!

I’m so sad right now :( sorry A didn’t make it...

If mine are alive, I’ll take your word for it. I believe if they’ve come through the membrane already, they’re pretty darn close to hatching and most absorbing has been done.

Anything from B?

Thanks. He was so active this morning. It’s killing me a little bit that I didn’t take the next step when I thought he was a little panicky sounding. Just heartbroken. Go with your gut. Btw I’d totally do the safety hole again as time is running out. It buys them time at least

B never developed. After A, I decided wth. I opened the air cell end and could see it was all yolk. No sign of development.

Here’s the difference I noticed between a chick and no chick. Eventually chick eggs even out and quit leaning as far towards the small end. The weight evens out, too, and the egg stays warm more evenly across the bottom side of the egg. When you pick up the egg and it’s yolk, it moves around a bit. When it’s a chick, you can eventually feel something solid moving. Finally, you can hear scratching noises near hatch time when it’s a chick.

Don’t know of any of that is helpful, but thought I’d throw it out there since we had both.

Sorry you lost the chick :( I lost one like that in my first hatch - I didn't help it, and it turned out it was malpositioned.

You're right in that the eggs with chicks in them do eventually even back out from the tilt. Here's a nice graphic showing that:

emu egg tilt graphic.jpg

It’s very helpful. The more information the better. I’m really hoping that if they don’t hatch, they’re just duds. I would be heartbroken as well knowing that it was alive and didn’t make it.

What an awful feeling. Feeling bad for you.

Are you not seeing any signs of life in yours? Have you tried the 'heat test' and tilt test'?

They are both tilting more than in the first half. They are both warmer in the tilted down side. Just no wiggles.

Sometimes you don't see wiggling until late, or not at all. A lot of breeders will tell you day 35 is the earliest they see wiggling. I've seen wiggling slightly earlier than that, but day 35 is a good baseline for when they might start. Some don't wiggle until later, and some never wiggle at all and still hatch.

Back
Top Bottom