Rocks around the run?

Felony

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 16, 2011
Quebec, Canada
I have already built my pen with chicken wire, but I did not know I should have burried it underground to prevent predators. Now I have no more chicken wire but i do have alot of rocks on my property...so does burrying rocks around the pen works in deterring predators from digging their way in the pen?? How deep and wide should i make the rock barrier and is it better to use big or small rocks? does any of you have pictures for insparation? Thank you!!

Sorry to say it, but if you used chicken wire the run itself isn't predator resistant. Most hungry critters will not bother with digging, they'll just tear through the chicken wire. If you possibly can, I would suggest reinforcing the chicken wire with welded wire (even wire with large spacing between the wires).

You can deal with the problem of digging predators by putting large rocks or pavers around the base of the run. You want the rocks to be large enough so that they can't be easily moved out of the way by a predator. The wider the rock barrier, the better...say 18 inches or more.

The other thing you can do is attach an apron of welded wire to the baseboard of the run and lay it flat on the ground extending outward, then anchor this apron down with rocks or landscaping staples, etc.

My chickens kept digging dust bath tubs by the fence so I threw large rocks in them to stop it. I was afraid they were going to make a gap that something could crawl through...

I have chicknes wire runs but I lock the girls up each night. My hoop coop is covered with hardware cloth. I also use the "marking" method of prevention. Male human urine seems to work out ok so far. I "mark" all around the yard in the woods and on specific places near the coop. You won't smell it but the preds do and you do have to repeat it now and then like every chance you get.

Now as for digging? You can still dig and bury wire. Or you could dig and fill the trench with broken glass. I do think some "runner crush" stone would work too. It's sharp rocks.

thanks for the answers...

I know chicken wire is not the best, but budget obliged
roll.png
I did nail little wood boards on all the corners so it's not too flimsy...eventually when i have a bit more money i will change it for better wire mesh! I also close the chicks little door at night for extra protection! I will try to put big rocks around, and the idea of urine is good too. My husband really likes to piss outside in the morning
lol.png
and all the time actually ( he find that this is one of the great advantages of us moving in the woods with no neighbours) so i will now tell him to pee around the coop....i just hope it doesn't get too stincky !
hmm.png

You can't tell from this picture but since our wire was not buried, I put large rocks (3-10 lb) along the run and tossed flower seeds from the Dollar Store among the rocks. Nature did her thing and this is the result:

57171_dscn3504.jpg

Last edited:
I have a bunch of 12x12 patio pavers left by the previous owner. I laid them around the run. I also use chicken wire from masonry pallets. They work fine and no predator problem.

Back
Top Bottom