Rodent Control in Your Run

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by OldGuy43, Mar 1, 2012.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a mouse setting up housekeeping in the clucker's & quacker's run. Didn't like the idea of using conventional traps for the obvious reasons, and than I remembered one that I could use was stashed away in the basement.

To make your own you probably have everything you need around your ranch:

• A small bucket (5 gallons or less)
    • A small cylindrical object (can, medicine bottle, whatever)
    • A piece of wire long enough to span the top of the bucket (We all have wire, right?)
    • A drill
    • Something to bait your trap with (I use peanut butter but...?)
    • A small piece of wood
    • Some water

Drill a hole slightly bigger than the wire so that the cylinder can spin. Thread the wire through it. Attach the wire across the top of the can. Put about 6-8" of water in the bucket. Prop the board up against the side of the bucket so that it's in line with one end of the wire. Smear bait onto the cylinder.

Here's how it works; The rodent smells the bait, runs up the ramp and tries to get at it. The cylinder spins, the nasty little beggar falls into the water and drowns. If you're really soft hearted you can leave out the water, but than you're stuck with the "What do I do with a live pest?" conundrum.

[​IMG]

You don't even have to re-bait it very often. [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Now that is a cool idea!

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I use the bucket trap too, except I just place a stick over the top of the bucket and cover the water surface with sunflower seeds. They jump right in there thinking they've found themselves a full bucket of seed and never come back out. No drilling necessary :) it works great!

4. PamelaTX

PamelaTX Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    Love it! This wouldn't hurt larger animals but would bag the little buggers! What about squirrels? Do you think a bigger version would work for squirrels who are chewing on the house?

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't see why not. Worth a try.

6. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Excellent idea! Thank you so much for posting this... off to make one now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by