Roll Out Nest Box

Got a few minutes this afternoon to work on the RONB. Got the removable roof section and the back covered. I'll have a latch at the back and the front sticks under the roof to hold it down. Would you paint the inside or leave it natural?
RONB-12.jpg RONB-13.jpg
JT

Not knowing anything about nest boxes except what I've read here I assumed that the only thing that might get dirty is the floor?

JT
Pretty much.
Tho they can track in poop on their feet,
mostly I see this on the edge of the entrance hole and the perch.
Broken eggs can make a real mess and get spread around.
Neither concerns me much, tho I do have vinyl liners on the bottoms for the broken egg issue, but some folks like to clean and/or paint everything(not me).

Pretty much.
Tho they can track in poop on their feet,
mostly I see this on the edge of the entrance hole and the perch.
Broken eggs can make a real mess and get spread around.
Neither concerns me much, tho I do have vinyl liners on the bottoms for the broken egg issue, but some folks like to clean and/or paint everything(not me).

Ah, ok I'll make the removable floor with some sides to contain any broken eggs. Thanks for the heads up on that. So far no eggs have been laid in the chicken yard or run or anywhere else I can see.

I know time is running out for me as they turn 17 weeks tomorrow and Henry is putting on quite a show with some of the pullets. Dunno if he is actually shooting bullets yet but he tries when he can get one to sit still for it.

JT

I know time is running out for me as they turn 17 weeks tomorrow and Henry is putting on quite a show with some of the pullets. Dunno if he is actually shooting bullets yet but he tries when he can get one to sit still for it.
If your boy is the same age, it's not always good indicator of laying status.
Young cockerels tend to jump everything and is usually just dominance behavior.

Are the girls reddening up in comb/wattles/faces?
There's always the butt check:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Thinking on the broken egg in a roll out nest....no idea what would happen.
Might depend on your 'carpeting'.
@IdyllwildAcres any broken eggs for you yet?

Straw in my nests kind of sops it all up or it drains down thru it.
Sometimes they dig for it and if it's been awhile is can be hard to tell it even happened.

If your boy is the same age, it's not always good indicator of laying status.
Young cockerels tend to jump everything and is usually just dominance behavior.

Are the girls reddening up in comb/wattles/faces?
There's always the butt check:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Yes, they are all the exact same age.

All but one has nice bright red comb/wattles/faces. One had a comb and wattles that are huge compared to the others.

I think the stray egg will be a clue for me lol.

JT

Thinking on the broken egg in a roll out nest....no idea what would happen.
Might depend on your 'carpeting'.
@IdyllwildAcres any broken eggs for you yet?

Straw in my nests kind of sops it all up or it drains down thru it.
Sometimes they dig for it and if it's been awhile is can be hard to tell it even happened.

Nope, not a one.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom