Roll Out Nest Box

Gary, did you ever figure out how to do fake eggs in your rollouts??

I set them lengthwise, against the pitch so they would not move, until a chicken fussed with them and then they would roll out, rinse and repeat. I was putting them back several times a day. I considered hot glue but it all worked out they figured it out.

Gary

I set them lengthwise, against the pitch so they would not move, until a chicken fussed with them and then they would roll out, rinse and repeat. I was putting them back several times a day. I considered hot glue but it all worked out they figured it out.

Gary
Was just remembering we considered cutting one of the hard plastic ones in half on the long axis.
Bet Jthornton would have the tool and skills for that, might take a special fixture.

maybe ....with the right fine toothed blade....
.....problem is holding it to make the cut without damaging tool... or losing fingers.

I thought about that too, very carefully and just cut off enough to make a flat spot, that would keep your fingers further from the blade.
You could take a wooden egg, put in a vise and flatten a spot with a belt sander... no risk of finger loss...

Gary

Gary
My plan is to block the opening until a few lay in the nest then remove the block.

I have ceramic eggs... I might hot glue a base onto them so they stay and the real ones roll out. Just thinking out loud at the moment.

For wooden eggs a belt sander would be the safe way, screwed to a board from the underneath so the egg stays still and the board clamped down or screw the egg to a 2x4 and use the chop saw.

JT

Was just remembering we considered cutting one of the hard plastic ones in half on the long axis.
Bet Jthornton would have the tool and skills for that, might take a special fixture.
For a plastic egg... hmm a coping saw and some hot glue to hold the egg still. Need super fine teeth and slow so you don't melt the plastic.

Machining plastic can be fun...

JT

Back
Top Bottom