Roo attacked hen

JaceAgain

Songster
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Coastal NC
Ok so I have a 7 month old roo who attacked the heck out of my hen this morning, pulled all of the feathers from the back of her head and neck, and shes bleeding. I have her seperated for now, is there anything I can do for her?

Out of 5 adults, the roo is the third in the pecking order, and he just recently started taking her down (like full speed running at her, grabbing her neck like caught a darn football, and tumbling with her) and now shes even submissive to me, which has never been the case. Always nice and social, but Now I cant walk up without her squatting. Anyway, I found her in the coop today squished between the brooder and the coop wall so he couldnt get her anymore :(

I dont need a roo, so hes a goner as soon as I can, but what do I do in the meantime?

Good move separating her - just clean the wounds and keep them free of infection, she will surprise you with how quickly she recovers. You may need to employ some blu-kote, etc. to prevent picking at her bare spots or any last healing bits still there when you re-integrate her.
Until you are able to be rid of him, I'd house the roo alone.

Thank you! I was able to get some Peck No More and the hen seems much happier. The roo moved to a new home today, which is a little sad, but good.

Back
Top Bottom