1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo ATTACKING,

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bird Hearder, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    What to do?
    Every time I go out there it's a battle, He jumps up and starts kicking me about 10 times with every jump. Now he has started Biting me and won't let go.
    I know he's supposed to be protecting his girls But they are nowhere around when he's attacking.
    Is there anyway to tame him a bit?
    [​IMG]

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Rooster-red had a great page on dealing with problem roosters. Let me get the link for you.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    personally that roo would end up in the stewpot by nite fall.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can try to tame him down, but many times, if they are that aggressive, you can never trust them. I personally would not keep a rooster who was too stupid to realize that I, giver of treats, water and food, was not a threat. My roosters have been wonderful and non aggressive toward humans, but fierce protectors of their girls.

6. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Is it time for a rooster dinner?

7. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    They can't all be tamed... and in that case I recommend fried chicken but I PMed you a link that walks you through conditioning the rooster not to be aggressive towards you or anyone else.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

My RIR rooster is sweet until I handle the hens enough that they squawk....then he does a little threatening dance and makes his fight song. I just lightly loft him through the air a couple of times with my foot....not a kick, just a lift and throw. One time I cuffed him lightly across the head, just enough to get his attention, after he pecked me. He immediately shows a turn around in his behavior. I like the fact that he is protective of his girls. Any rooster that shows fight when you are not "threatening" the flock should be culled. Do you want this characteristic bred back into your flock? I read the link about rooster training and it seems fine, if one has that much time to spend with a rooster. Most of us are much too busy to carry a rooster around for 3 weeks, nor are we willing to get flogged and pecked to prove who is alpha! My rooster is not a docile pet rooster and definitely not a lap rooster....I never pick him up unless it is necessary. He does his job and I expect him to let me do mine. That's all one should expect of one's livestock. I respect him and he obviously feels the same about me. If he ever attacked me unprovoked, I would ring his neck and get another rooster. [​IMG]

9. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    I will give that a try as best I can. I'll be across the yard and he'll come running to get me. I'm not so worried about myself but I can't have him attacking my wife or the Neighbors. 4 of the girls hang out at the neighbors and they don't mind at all, as a matter of fact They said I just had to get a Roo for the morning Crow. Just can't have him attacking when his wife is sitting outside reading in the evening.

10. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    A couple of weeks ago there was a post on here about an old fashioned way to cure a hen of her nastiness. I think your rooster could use a little dose of discipline
    Grab it by the feet next time it comes runnng at you and dunk it upside down in a pail of water. Apparently it will walk away with a whole new attitude, and you'll still have a roo to protect your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by