Roo chased me arround the yard!

Quote:
I absolutely agree that you can defend yourself, hope I didn't come off as saying otherwise.

It just didn't seem as though the conscious effert made to try to gain control of the situation, and defense insticts were what was in play.

Quote:
I hate to keep drilling this point, but you HAVE to handle them if you want them to stop. At the point you and he were at, only physically stopping him until he calms down will help.

You have to face the fear, he's a rooster not a monster. They don't have teeth, yes they can draw blood but if you handle them quickly and get them upside down they seem to get a little disoriented. They CAN damage you, but if this rooster is really a danger, the sooner you get a handle on him the better.

Sounds like a war of wills. I've had a rooster like that - and it is like Asperger's Syndrome. Many in our family have it and our middle son's is the most obvious - he was the same way as a child. It was useless to spank him because he'd just look at you and say "It doesn't hurt." or re-do what got him in trouble to start with. We used to joke that if we spanked him for saying "no", his dying word would be "No." However, if we backed off he corrected the problem on his own.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this - or if it is my Aspieness that picks it up - but kicking a rooster isn't like kicking another animal. Before I get others jumping on me or sending hate mail - I don't believe in kicking my animals, however I have been known to kick a rooster or a drake. I guess what I'm trying to say is that because of the way they are built, they don't actually get kicked as much as scooped.

It feels more like my foot fits nicely under their body, lifts them up and removes them from the situation (i.e. flying across the yard). Since they have wings they don't land with a thud. So, I don't feel so bad about the action. Now, why I compare it to Asperger's - Years ago I had a rooster that would attack me whenever I was in the yard. I'd kick it away, it would come back and attack again. Rather than kick at it as I tried to do work, I'd just stand there and the hard-headed little thing would come again and again and again. It reminded me of our son. Eventually, he would realize that I meant it and that I always stood my ground and stopped attacking me. After that, he'd look at me with the "I choose to not attack you, as head rooster I allow you in my domain." When in reality he knew that I ruled the roost.

So, it was much like assigning chores to our son. He'd complain, fuss and announce that he wasn't going to do it. Rather than confront him and end up in prison for child abuse, we'd walk away and say nothing. For example - dishes. The pile would still be on the sink when everyone went to bed but would be done when we got up in the morning. It had to be on his terms.

Good luck with your war of wills.

why not eat this one and then start again with what you've learned on a new one. i don't see how this situation will change.

Why is it so many here are attacking Brooster again? First attack was by the rooster and now you guys. Brooster came here trying to find ways to help in teaching the rooster who is head chicken. Has admitted that picking the hen up is what caused the rooster to attack, why attack instead of offering help. Maybe some of you have never been in a situation where defence seems to be the only way to go. I have and can tell you it is easy for you to sit calmly at the computer and pick apart what has been done but, until your in the situation stop and think and listen to what the poster is saying.

Here, Here Farmer Kitty, and from the responses I have been reading not very many people have ever TRIED to kick a rooster, I couldn't make contact even as BAD as I wanted to, he just felt the breeze of my foot that's why I got the 2x2 and yes either he was going to stop or die! right then and there! And really do you think Brooster was actually counting every kick or maybe, JUST maybe it was an Exaggeration and Brooster was still upset when he or she posted?!

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

Last edited:
Thanks Farmer Kitty and slyfoxpeeps. I was at the point where i wasnt even looking at what people were replying.
hmm.png

Quote:
slyfoxpeeps, you are not one that I'm upset with. You see Brooster's side. So many others have attacked Brooster though!

And your right, it is awfully hard to really kick a rooster. I was attacked by mine this weekend when my DH walked into the coop behind me. Rooster knows better than attack me and my foot reminded him when I kicked out and he got a backward lift on it as my foot slid right under him!

Last edited:
Quote:
You are welcome! I read a post from a newbie earlier today complaining of this sort of thing lately but, have not read a post with it happening. I'm appalled!

Quote:
I haven't attacked brooster.

I merely stated what could have been the reason for the attack, and sugguested an option for the next time, trying to help.

As I stated, I understand brooster wanting to defend themself.

Back
Top Bottom