1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo culling went bad!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ikatiemay, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Farmin Momma

Farmin Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Mill Creek, Wa
    I am in Mill Creek.

Yesterday was my first time killing one of our chickens also, first time I have killed anything. I am an animal Freak so this was really hard for me. My stomach was a bit queezy after but a few mins went by and I was fine. We will be eating her for lunch today as she was not ready for dinner lastnight!

I hope your next attemped to get that mean roo ends well! Good Luck.

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I live by myself & its hard to hold a chicken & try to kill it. I just loaded my 22 & shot my roo in the head . No problem. But I guess you could put him in a pillow case & gas him with the muffler of a car. Best way is to have someone hold his head to a chopping block & take an axs to his neck. Make sure the axs is sharp.

3. Crazyhenlady

Crazyhenlady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Everett, Wa
    Cool! Really close to me!! What kind of hens do you have?

4. ikatiemay

ikatiemay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    Thanks all! I have some hens that are almost 3 what is the best way to cook the old girls? I don't think pressure cooking is for me, are they so tough that's the only option?

5. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    Congratulations on getting the job done. The first one can be tough (heck I had one go really badly when I *thought* I knew how to do it right). I still remember the first two I ever did - I was terrified of "hurting" the chicken, and caused it more pain that way than any chicken I've killed since.

As to the mean roo - wait until he roosts. Stick him in a cardboard box. Take care of him in the morning. I use a kill cone. I've cut the head off too, and all I'll say is do whatever is GOING to result in a dead bird. if that's hatchet, then hatchet them. If you like using a broom stick and it kills the bird dead, that's a fine method as well. Last thing you want to have to do is what I did my first time - chase a wounded, bleeding, scared chicken around. Let him get some sleep and give him a shave and haircut in the morning.

Don't let the mistakes of your first few attempts scare you off - with time and practice you'll dispatch the birds with more care and less pain. That alone will make them taste better.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If you don't have the strength to pop his head off, find a stump, block of wood and a machete. Lay the rooster down in such a way the head and neck is lay down on the block. With the other hand take the machete and with the sharp edge pointed down, with a quick swing remove the roosters head. As has been said before, it ain't pretty but necessary.

Too shoot him with a pellet gun could get you brought up on charges. I would not tell everybody about this.

7. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    BOIL. BOIL. BOIL. SIMMER. SIMMER. SIMMER. Until the meat falls off the bones. Keep the broth. You can also make awesome broth from the feet. Scald the feet to peel off the scaly skin, cut the ends of the toes off and boil in a pot for broth. The feet then make a great dog snack.

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I hang them with bungee cords and lop off the head with tree loppers. Takes all of about half a second and it's over with painlessly.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Say what I shot mine with a 22 but what makes you think its against the law. Maybe, where you live but not out here in the country. Explain ?

10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    OK, I'll explain. I did think you could see what she said but I guess not. The OP said her husband, an avid hunter shot the rooster 4 times with a pellet gun and it ran off. Now you know as well as I a .22 caliber round and a shot from pellet gun are not the same in ballistic results. I would think a .22 would kill a rooster quit well. So you in the country and me in the country is still the same. Before anyone shoots anything with any caliber round, know what it will do before the fact. Is it lethal or not? Come on, you know better. [​IMG]

If shooting a dog with a paintball is animal cruelty, then shooting a rooster 4 times with a pellet gun and watching it run off is certainly.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by