Roo driving hens out of the flock.

My rooster was an Americana/EE, too. Wow! What a coincidence! Mine was about 11 months old...almost a year. My hens don't seem to miss him much, but they are still rejecting the hen he injured. Not as badly as at first, but when they free range, she is on one part of the property and they are on another.
sad.png
I'm hoping they blend back together. I don't like her being alone!

I had a buff orp roo do this. I wanted three Roos -- a RIR, a BR, and a buff. I had two buffs at the time, deciding which to cull. (I culled one by one down from 20-ish Roos as I decided who not to keep).

One day one of the buff orps started challenging hens with chest butting and jumping up to fight. It was minor at first but escalated. My decision was made for me, and I took him out the next day.

I have a little mixed roo coming up. I thought be was a black sex-link pullet, but he got brown feathers along the back, his legs are too thick, and two days ago be started a feud with a silkie hen. She actually attacks him too. I wanted to make SURE he's a roo before culling him but I'm pretty sure. He's half RIR and maybe a SLW or BA laid the egg he hatched from rather than the BR.

It happens though.

Boy, I'm glad I found this thread. My roo and a few hens are doing the same thing. I separated them, it looked like it was escalating, and didn't want my senior hens hurt.

Back
Top Bottom