1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenflan, Aug 18, 2013.

1. jenflan

jenflan New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    This is a 10 week old Easter Egger. It hasn't crowed but has very big and red comb. What does everyone think? I'm very new to having chickens!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That is 100% a cockerel. And, it doesn't really look like an Easter Egger to me. It looks more like an ordinary crossbred, with some Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans background. Most Easter Egger cockerels have a pea comb and muffs, not a single comb and an unfeathered face. If it is indeed an Easter Egger, the chances of it carrying a blue-egg gene is rather low, as it does not have a pea comb.

3. That is a rooster but thats no EE! EEs have pea combs notsingle and tend to have puffy cheeks and a beard. EEs dont usually have the barred look, there is a chance that hes a plymouth rock mix but I could be wrong, I do know he isn't an EE though.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Rooster. I agree, I don't see any Easter egger there, but he's similar to my young guys that have a part barred daddy and a mutt momma.

5. jenflan

jenflan New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Well darn, I really wanted the Easter Eggers to have fun colored eggs for my children. The woman I got him from said she would take back any chicks that turned out to be roosters. The other one I got form her is all black and very tiny. Is that common for an EE? Also, the roo in my profile pic has the puffy cheeks so is he part EE. The came from my daughter's kindergarten class this spring.

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:EEs are not really a breed, and are mixed anyway, so there's really no 'common' for them. You can call your roo an EE. To me personally, an ideal EE would have a pea comb, muff/beard, lay green/blue eggs, and have willow/slate legs. But you can subtract, add, mix, and play with any of those features and still technically have an 'EE'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by