Roo Raisin' Advice

Geckolady

Counting Chickens B4 They're Hatched
Sep 12, 2020
east central Arizona
I am fortunate to have a great rooster as my first roo. He seems to think he's a large parrot, and will perch on my arm if it's nearby and expect to have his feathers stroked. He's great at taking care of the hens, and fertilizes the eggs. Couldn't ask for better. Everybody on the forum talks about only breeding good natured roos, and I did that. But his son does not seem to be a chip off the old block.

At only 5 weeks of age, he's flighty. All three chicks are flighty. I think the other two are probably pullets, but don't know for sure yet. With him, it's obvious he's a boy. When I put my hand in to clean, change the water, or feed them, the other two panic and he runs forward and pecks hard at my hands. He's too small to hurt me, but I'm concerned about the attitude. The thought of attacking me doesn't even seem to cross his father's mind, and I'd like him to grow up to be a nice boy, too.

Is there something I can do to help him to grow up to be a nice rooster? Any behavior advice?

Personally, I would work on moving and keeping him out of your personal space via body language. I'd go slowly, and start with just pushing him away without any walking towards him, which most likely won't stop the behaviour, but it will keep him from becoming fear aggressive through a sudden change in your demeanour. It sounds like he may be afraid of you too so if that's the case than handling him more combined with not letting him get up in your space without permission is my most likely approach.
I wrote this article on roosters if that's something you're interested in.

Personally, I would work on moving and keeping him out of your personal space via body language. I'd go slowly, and start with just pushing him away without any walking towards him, which most likely won't stop the behaviour, but it will keep him from becoming fear aggressive through a sudden change in your demeanour. It sounds like he may be afraid of you too so if that's the case than handling him more combined with not letting him get up in your space without permission is my most likely approach.
I wrote this article on roosters if that's something you're interested in.
Well, it seems to have worked! :D Now he just observes me calmly and has completely stopped the attacks. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom