roo vent

Leah S

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
I am so discouraged about my roo! Need to vent and thought I could do so here. I have get rid of my roo :( he is going after me and my kids. He is a good rooster, doing what he should be, being a good protector. ~sigh~ I really like him but can't have a bird that will eventually hurt one of the kids. We keep giving him chances but he keeps going after people. Today he tried to go after the baby.
I know what needs to be done, but it's just a shame that it has to be done. I guess I will take care of him tomorrow, before he hurts someone.
Thanks for letting me vent about it

Aww, I'm so sorry. I've been through that before myself, with three roosters! Now I have a very nice Buckeye rooster who is polite and very nice to everyone. But he's also 2 years old. I wonder if age has to do with it, and if they mellow with age.....But I also can't take a chance with little grandchildren running around.

You're doing the right think, in my humble opinion.
Sharon

This is also a concern of mine. I got 4 roosters with my order of chicks with the intent to cull down to the best rooster. I cant wait too long because I plan on using the culled roosters as broilers. I just hope the one I decide to keep doesn't go mean on me. I cant have that. If he doesn't work out, he'll have to go and Ill have to introduce a new one to the flock.
I'm sorry about your boy. I know its got to be hard ridding yourself of a bird you are a little attached too.

wha happens if you wait too long? my guy is almost a year. is there a point that you can't eat them anymore?

wha happens if you wait too long? my guy is almost a year. is there a point that you can't eat them anymore?

They get tough, Under a year and you can still use him as a roaster IMHO, After that he becomes a stewing chicken and chicken and dumplings are mmm-mmm good. so its not too late.

I am so discouraged about my roo! Need to vent and thought I could do so here. I have get rid of my roo :( he is going after me and my kids. He is a good rooster, doing what he should be, being a good protector. ~sigh~ I really like him but can't have a bird that will eventually hurt one of the kids. We keep giving him chances but he keeps going after people. Today he tried to go after the baby.
I know what needs to be done, but it's just a shame that it has to be done. I guess I will take care of him tomorrow, before he hurts someone.
Thanks for letting me vent about it

You're making the right decision as he is not a good rooster. A good rooster will protect the flock, yet not be people-aggressive. The crockpot is a good solution to a tough chicken. We pressure-can our old hens that are no longer laying. It tenderizes them nicely. Just a thought, but maybe if you replace him you could find an adult rooster.

Back
Top Bottom