Roo with a wing situation, not sure of the cause

heavenjumper

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2021
My barred rock rooster is 5 months old, no injuries that I've known of, has a good quality diet, and is growing well. In the last week, his wing feathers have started sticking out from his body. Someone told me it's angel wing, but I thought that was only in ducks. He came from a reputable local breeder, the 4 pullets that I got from the same place with him are all developing normally, and I can't figure out what is causing this. He acts like his normal self, just looks a little odd. I plan on breeding, so I'm trying to figure out if this is genetic and I need a new rooster or if I can fix it. I can really use some help here and appreciate any insight and advice!

Attachments

• 20211017_130233.jpg
    20211017_130233.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211017_130342.jpg
    20211017_130342.jpg
    891.1 KB · Views: 7
My barred rock rooster is 5 months old, no injuries that I've known of, has a good quality diet, and is growing well. In the last week, his wing feathers have started sticking out from his body. Someone told me it's angel wing, but I thought that was only in ducks. He came from a reputable local breeder, the 4 pullets that I got from the same place with him are all developing normally, and I can't figure out what is causing this. He acts like his normal self, just looks a little odd. I plan on breeding, so I'm trying to figure out if this is genetic and I need a new rooster or if I can fix it. I can really use some help here and appreciate any insight and advice!
The feathers are just crooked. Try realigning them?

If you do, & it persists, it maybe Angel Wing.

He's only 5 months old, so it may correct itself when he molts. I wouldn't worry too much. It looks like his big boy feathers just grew in before the rest of him caught up. Even if it persists, it'd be a cosmetic defect and not anything that will affect his health. If they annoy him (or you), you can always trim them.

He's only 5 months old, so it may correct itself when he molts. I wouldn't worry too much. It looks like his big boy feathers just grew in before the rest of him caught up. Even if it persists, it'd be a cosmetic defect and not anything that will affect his health. If they annoy him (or you), you can always trim them.
He is in the process of molting now, and I believe mostly done. His wing feathers are bigger than the girls' are, so maybe that is the case and he just needs to catch up with them, lol. The potential effect on his offspring is part of what makes me question it. I don't want to be breeding a big flaw like that, if it doesn't correct I will probably get another rooster for breeding. Thank you.

He is in the process of molting now, and I believe mostly done. His wing feathers are bigger than the girls' are, so maybe that is the case and he just needs to catch up with them, lol. The potential effect on his offspring is part of what makes me question it. I don't want to be breeding a big flaw like that, if it doesn't correct I will probably get another rooster for breeding. Thank you.
It's caused by a Vitamin Deficiency, not genetics.

I didn't know that! Thanks for the info. Huh. It's different in waterfowl. In waterfowl, it's attributed to too much protein or possibly genetics.

What vitamin?
I've heard it's a vitamin deficiency in Waterfowl too. I was digging into the cause of angel wing a few years ago when I was raising guineas.

I'm not totally sure what vitamin, but it doesn't hurt to go broad.

I've heard it's a vitamin deficiency in Waterfowl too. I was digging into the cause of angel wing a few years ago when I was raising guineas.

I'm not totally sure what vitamin, but it doesn't hurt to go broad.
I'll definitely see if I can correct whatever deficiency it could be as well, thank you. It would make sense to be a similar cause in both ducks and chickens.

Back
Top Bottom