Roo with Attitude-breaking the behavior before it gets worse?

UrbanviewFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012
State of Jefferson
I have a little Polish cockerel who's just started maturing, he started crowing maybe 6 weeks ago. He's never been my favorite chicken, but hasn't made any big mistakes until today.
This morning, one of his hens escaped again so I decided to go ahead and clip their wings. This little roo gets pretty upset when I pick his hens up and started chasing me a little bit. I just kicked at him until he backed away but this kind of behavior is totally unacceptable to me! I tolerated this once in a Polish roo and he turned into a sneaky monster who'd come up behind you and spur you out of nowhere!

Are there any suggestions on curbing this behavior before he ends up in the soup pot?

Pick him up by his legs, parade him around in front of his ladies, then hold him on the ground for a minute or so. If he tries to peck you, slap him around and show him who's the boss. If that doesn't work.... You have the right idea, sounds like he is volunteering to be dinner.

Shawn

Pick him up by his legs, parade him around in front of his ladies, then hold him on the ground for a minute or so. If he tries to peck you, slap him around and show him who's the boss. If that doesn't work.... You have the right idea, sounds like he is volunteering to be dinner.

Shawn

I like that idea. I like it a LOT!! I'm kind of hoping that if I break this habit the first time he shows it and at a young age, he will turn out to be ok okay guy. On the other hand, I don't like him too much anyway. Just using him for breeding because his dad was killed by a dog.:rolleyes:

I have 8 or ten roosters on the place for my 85 or so layers. The most aggressive bird I have only hops into the feed bucket before I have put enough scoops in it.

I have had to do this once or twice and have not had to kill one yet, but there are no 2nd chances either.

Good luck,

Shawn

I have 8 or ten roosters on the place for my 85 or so layers. The most aggressive bird I have only hops into the feed bucket before I have put enough scoops in it.

I have had to do this once or twice and have not had to kill one yet, but there are no 2nd chances either.

Good luck,

Shawn

Thank you soo much!! The roo got his attitude adjustment yesterday, I've been working with him and his girls for the last two days and he hasn't tried to chase me since!!!!

I found where someone said to pick the roo up immediately and hold him at your side like a football with his head facing forward. TAke your other hand and put your fingers on top of his head and push his head downward then after a bit let go of his head. When he lifts his head....repeat the process and continue to do so until he leaves his head hanging down. So far it has worked on three more roosters. The first one I believe it did not work on because he had alreqdy been attacking me and I had already been fighting back to the point there was no going back. AFter I got rid of him...I made sure to watch for challenging behavior and nip it in the bud. So far it's worked.

I found where someone said to pick the roo up immediately and hold him at your side like a football with his head facing forward. TAke your other hand and put your fingers on top of his head and push his head downward then after a bit let go of his head. When he lifts his head....repeat the process and continue to do so until he leaves his head hanging down. So far it has worked on three more roosters. The first one I believe it did not work on because he had alreqdy been attacking me and I had already been fighting back to the point there was no going back. AFter I got rid of him...I made sure to watch for challenging behavior and nip it in the bud. So far it's worked.

This is a great idea too, thank you!!

So I'm guessing the general idea here is to establish yourself higher in the pecking order than the roo involved?

There is also the option of changing behavior by making them see you as a provider. I got my cockerel at 16 weeks of age, so he did not know me. He did not trust me. He would stay away unless I grabbed one of the girls. I began sitting down as not to be so large and threatening. I would hand feed all of my girls, and toss him treats as he would not come close. After 3 weeks of doing this daily, he now takes treats from my hand. He follows me around the yard like a dog. He does watch me when I need to handle the girls, but does not react aggressively. I have a zero tolerance rule. One attack and off to freezer camp. There are too many good roos out there to deal with a mean one. Good luck

I guess. I thought it was really the dumbest thing I had ever heard but I was desperate and all the other things I had read to try only seemed to make it worse. I thought I could find the place where I saw this but I can't. I will continue to look and post if I can find it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704204/handling-roosters on post number 7 it mentions that someone on here had posted sometime in the past about it

Last edited:
I have a little Polish cockerel who's just started maturing, he started crowing maybe 6 weeks ago. He's never been my favorite chicken, but hasn't made any big mistakes until today.
This morning, one of his hens escaped again so I decided to go ahead and clip their wings. This little roo gets pretty upset when I pick his hens up and started chasing me a little bit. I just kicked at him until he backed away but this kind of behavior is totally unacceptable to me! I tolerated this once in a Polish roo and he turned into a sneaky monster who'd come up behind you and spur you out of nowhere!

Are there any suggestions on curbing this behavior before he ends up in the soup pot?

So, Im not the only one who has a Polish Roo with an attitude.

My boy is 1 1/2 yrs old and has 3 hens. I made the mistake one day, to pick up the very first egg one of the girls laid, and I found myself face to face with his loooong spurs .
hide.gif

Since that day, I have tried Every suggestion Ive received, but to no avail, but since he is for the hens safety, and because I Love him , I just deal with it.

Funny thing is, is that my son can go in there , walk around, pick him up etc.

DH can too, and he doesnt care for the chickens, when I Was the one who raised him from day 1..Go figure .
idunno.gif

He does his job well, so , he stays..

I wish you luck. Maybe you will be able to nip his behavior in the bud.

Ill be watching this thread for more suggestions..

Back
Top Bottom