Roo with Bloody Poop

AMont17

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2023
I found a stray buff Orphington (or mix) rooster about 6 weeks ago. He stayed in quarantine for approximately 3 weeks with no signs of illness so I’ve been slowly integrating him into the flock when I’m home, but he still goes in his own area to roost at night. While I was out of town the past 2 days my neighbor put fresh water and feed out. I got home a few hours ago and we’re having terrible weather so I put the roo in our climate controlled shop, where I keep my “teenage” chickens. The teens are in their own enclosure, but only separated by hardware cloth and wood. I just noticed bloody poops in the shop where my rooster is. He seems a little off, but not terribly lethargic. Still walking around, but not as upbeat as he typically is. Could this be Coccidiosis? I have Corid on hand. What should I do to protect my teens from getting ill? Any suggestions/information is appreciated! I’ve posted pics of the bloody poop and my roo.

Attachments

• 88C91934-D7C1-4FAF-A7C1-5F469114F828.jpeg
    88C91934-D7C1-4FAF-A7C1-5F469114F828.jpeg
    990.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 73CBA083-2468-4B67-A1F8-0C078E98454E.jpeg
    73CBA083-2468-4B67-A1F8-0C078E98454E.jpeg
    723.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 6033D9E6-8E39-4D06-B81D-D4A3F76C9562.jpeg
    6033D9E6-8E39-4D06-B81D-D4A3F76C9562.jpeg
    699.9 KB · Views: 6
I would start the Corid if you have it. Give him a drench of undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound of weight once or twice a day. Mix 2 tsp of liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder in each gallon of his water for 5 days. Don’t use any vitamins with thiamine (vitamin B1) while treating with Corid. Could he have gotten into any rat poison? Sulfa antibiotics are also good for treatment of coccidiosis, and may actually be better with all of the blood. Here is where to buy sulfadimethoxine:
https://jedds.com/en-jp/products/medicox-medpet

I would start the Corid if you have it. Give him a drench of undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound of weight once or twice a day. Mix 2 tsp of liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder in each gallon of his water for 5 days. Don’t use any vitamins with thiamine (vitamin B1) while treating with Corid. Could he have gotten into any rat poison? Sulfa antibiotics are also good for treatment of coccidiosis, and may actually be better with all of the blood. Here is where to buy sulfadimethoxine:
https://jedds.com/en-jp/products/medicox-medpet
Thank you so much! I am about to give him a dose of corid. When should I mix the corid in his water? Should I treat my teens that have possibly been exposed? I don’t use any type of rat poison, firm believer in the catch and release program although it’s never been an issue here.

The mixed Corid should be started right away as his only water source. Change it daily. It is safe for the others to have.
After some research I gathered that and mixed it as his only water source. Thank you for the clarification 😊 I appreciate it.

After some research I gathered that and mixed it as his only water source. Thank you for the clarification 😊 I appreciate it.
Currently dealing with coccidiosis right out of the box with chicks from Murray McMurray and unfortunately nothing local had corid in stock.

I'm curious to know how things ended up for you

Currently dealing with coccidiosis right out of the box with chicks from Murray McMurray and unfortunately nothing local had corid in stock.

I'm curious to know how things ended up for you
Can you start a new thread of your own, or post pictures of your chick’s poops? It is a bit unusual to have coccidiosis right after hatch, but usually it is after a couple of weeks. Are you checking for Corid liquid and powder in your cattle medicines in the feed store. Summer is common for outbreaks with hot and wet weather so I would ask how soon they will get some. It doesn’t hurt to keep it on hand with chicks.

Back
Top Bottom