roo with curling spurs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Penske, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Happy New Year!

I can't find any info on this...I hope someone here will know what to do, if anything.

My standard cochin roo's spurs are curled up and headed toward his legs. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Well, it's not uncommon. Below is a set of shots taken of our roo when he was being treated for bumblefoot (cass had plenty of time to file off spurs - he went to sleep). We now just hit the tips (above the blood line) with the hacksaw and then use a heavy grit emery board for rough edges).

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/IvanIvanovich/Dispurs/

Curved spurs can grow into legs and catch on fencing. Our guy has also not fallen from his roost while sleeping since we started trimming him up (think spurs locked together and when trying to shift around - over he went off of 2"x4"), could hear him `thump' on floor over baby monitor.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  3. hens & chicks

hens & chicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Hudson Indiana
    The book Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens on page 258 says to put oil on spur and twist off. It is probably best to read the few paragraphs on it. It also says to cut them off at 10-16 weeks old for permanent removal.

4. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Do you just twist the spurs and they come off? Thats neat... Just twist? can it hurt him? [​IMG]

5. Penske

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    IMG_5802.jpg

I'm not sure if this will work. Here's a pic of my roo with the curling spurs. He'll be 2 years old in April.

There's no way I can trim him. I'll have to find someone. Any other ways? What if I do nothing? Will they keep growing??

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

6. Penske

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

OK! I think this will work!!

Here's the picture!!

Lisa

7. Penske

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Just in case anyone else has this trouble, a vet came today and trimmed his spurs and then shaped them with a dremmel tool. He's fine. They said he was "such a gentleman!." She said that they would have grown into his legs, so far better to keep them trimmed.
    She thinks that it will be quite awhile before she'll have to do it again--they were able to get them quite short without hurting him.

Lisa

8. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Quote:Here's a great how-to video.

It sure looks easy to me. My roo is still too young and his spurs are barely half an inch, but I'll be taking the pliers to them when they start to get dangerous to the hens.

9. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Here's a great how-to video.

It sure looks easy to me. My roo is still too young and his spurs are barely half an inch, but I'll be taking the pliers to them when they start to get dangerous to the hens.

My wife and I followed the directions given by the guy in the youtube video above on a rooster that we used to have, and it was as easy as he said it would be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by