Roo?

Lizzy2825

Chirping
Apr 17, 2020
So I ordered all females and I noticed this on Wendy Darling today. I’m guessing she/he is a silver laced Wyandotte (she was a “surprise” pick when ordered online). Is she a he? Two weeks old.

Attachments

• 13D3150A-F4AA-4EAB-B90F-FC8D812AB7A9.jpeg
    13D3150A-F4AA-4EAB-B90F-FC8D812AB7A9.jpeg
    613.5 KB · Views: 16
So I ordered all females and I noticed this on Wendy Darling today. I’m guessing she/he is a silver laced Wyandotte (she was a “surprise” pick when ordered online). Is she a he? Two weeks old.
If she is a he, I cannot keep unfortunately because I have two small children and my chickens free range and I heard roosters can be pretty mean. So I’m hoping I can rehome.

That's a cockerel. As to roosters being mean... that all depends on the rooster and how its raised. Mom raised, I've heard have less of this as a problem. There are steps you can take to establish dominance, but if you have young children, I'm not sure I'd take the chance. There are things you can do; but I'd wait until your kids were older.

That's a cockerel. As to roosters being mean... that all depends on the rooster and how its raised. Mom raised, I've heard have less of this as a problem. There are steps you can take to establish dominance, but if you have young children, I'm not sure I'd take the chance. There are things you can do; but I'd wait until your kids were older.
Darn it. I was hoping it was not.
At what age should I be looking to rehome it? They are only 2 weeks old right now and staying under a hen that was broody.

Darn it. I was hoping it was not.
At what age should I be looking to rehome it? They are only 2 weeks old right now and staying under a hen that was broody.
The place I ordered the chicks from won’t even look at the photo or reimburse/credit my account for me until he/she is at least 10-20 weeks old. They said it’s too early to tell. I’m not a professional but I thought it was a roo when I seen it.

I'd keep it at least that long so that you can have pics to be reimbursed. You may not really have to wait that long, if you keep a photo journal of his growth. Typically though, they're right, you wouldn't be able to tell until he's about 6-8 weeks. That's why I called him an early cockerel. He's a boy and he wants the world to know. As to how soon you can get rid of him... you could do it now... but keep in mind that getting rid of a cockerel is difficult. Most people won't buy him off of you. You may need to offer him for free.

Back
Top Bottom