roofing the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gotpoodle, Jun 10, 2009.

1. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    I also live in New England, so I am anxious to see what you get for a reply. My 6 girls are 3 weeks old and still in my den in their brooder. The coop is up but not complete. Living in this climate makes you really think long and hard about how to build a safe home for them. Best of luck [​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    To roof a run, you are basically constructing a shed with no walls.

It needs rafters AND purlins, the one at right angles to the other, both of which will probably be spaced at 2' (altho it depends on your exact construction). (There is another way of doing it, but it doesn't save you THAT much lumber since it all needs to be bigger)

The manufacturer of Suntuf and Palruf has a brochure that details the support specifications needed for their products, and presumably mfrs of other plastic and metal roofing materials do too -- CONSULT THEM AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS. The stuff is pretty saggy, and expensive enough you don't want to ruin a whole roof's worth by incorrect construction. (I really LIKE it, you just have to use it as intended)

There is no issue of strength of the roofing panels, only the issue of strength of how you've got them SUPPORTED. So, see above paragraph [​IMG]

If the roof is flat, you will need to use *approved* sealants at all seams, and the roof will still probably leak, plus you will spend MUCH more money on lumber constructing a stronger supporting structure; thus it is smarter to have some reasonable pitch like at least 2:12.

The supporting structure needs to be built to withstand your local snow loads, so do not just happily go off building plans designed for, like, Alabama [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  3. gotpoodle

gotpoodle Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Mass
    Thanks for the links and suggestions!
    Jenski, your coop and run requirements on your Jenotopia blog perfectly describe my needs in terms of ease of use, my suburban neighborhood, where to put the coop/run for easy viewing, etc. [​IMG]
    I love the look of the corrugated stuff as roofing panels. I guess I need to go talk to someone at Home Depot or Lowe's and get manufacturers suggestions and look at total costs.
    And other roof pics and ideas appreciated! More is better!

4. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Songster

May 6, 2009
    I was going to cover my run too because of the heavy snow load..

can I just use the metal sheeting roofing that they have at lowes or home depot?

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Yup, certainly.... but all the abovementioned stuff about making sure you've got appropriate supporting structure still applies [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. CityChook

CityChook Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Here's my covered run:

[​IMG]

Nothing fancy. It is metal siding off a friend's barn (hail damaged so the insurance replaced it - I don't think the chickens care). It is framed with supports every 24 inches and screwed down. We put a little dollop of silicone over each screw to keep the leaking to a minimum. Pitch isn't very steep, but snow simply slides off. Keeps the majority of snow out of the run, but I still get some that blows in. Sounds great in the rain.

7. gotpoodle

gotpoodle Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Mass
    Citychook, is it one big piece of metal?
    I've been on your BYC site in the past to check out your coop and run ~ love them and love how you've 'decorated' the space! [​IMG]
    That pitch/look is kinda what I had in mind... Thanks!

8. taxus812

taxus812 In the Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Here is mine I live in northern CT and my coop is 5x12
    I'm using galvanized steel and I have supports every 3' with boards (purlins) running the entire length.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gotpoodle

gotpoodle Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Mass
    Quote:Love this! Thanks for showing the inside struts, too...I'm getting lots of ideas. [​IMG]

10. gotpoodle

gotpoodle Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Mass
    And that little emoticon really is me, drinking Swiss Mocha at the computer! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: