roofing the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gotpoodle, Jun 10, 2009.

1. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I don't have to worry about snow here in texas. I came home yesterday to find a hawk perched on the roof of my run. Sure make me happy that i covered the run.

2. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Songster

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    Do not use Palruf if you ever get hail in your neck of the woods. I covered my coop with translucent Palruf and LOVED it until we had just about the wettest spring ever with a few attacks of hail. The hail destroyed my roof [​IMG]. It now has white duct tape covering up the holes until I can afford a more permanent solution. Very upset with the Palruf company - they didn't mention in any of the product info that it doesn't stand up to hail of any sort!!!

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    valentine... I'm on south end of ft. worth. Your in hail alley as i'm sure you know. I used the corrigated metal. I'm hoping that it will not only hold up to hail but i'm thinking it will reflect some of this brutal texas sun. Good Luck

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:That is not the case at present, perhaps on account of experiences like yours... the brochure that I picked up at Home Depot (last fall), which gives comparison and installation info for Palruf and Suntuf, says in pretty large print right on the front "5 yr warranty, excludes hail damage".

The thing that pushed me to splurge on Suntuf rather than Palruf was that (I mention this because people don't seem to read this part of the info, based on what people post on BYC...) the Palruf is only rated for 0 F to 150 F, whereas the Suntuf is rated for a much wider range (-40 F to 270 F). Obviously it may sometimes, for a while, survive being colder or hotter than it's intended for, but since we regularly get a LOT colder than Palruf's warranty coverage, I was afraid that the roof would pull itself apart or crack under snow load on a cold January night. Similar concept would apply for using it somewhere that would get very greenhousey.

Pat

5. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Songster

May 6, 2009
    where would one find this clear vinyl roofing and how does it compare price wise to a metal one from the lowes or home depot etc?

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Up here (your local prices may be different) Palruf is cheaper than metal (but less durable); Suntuf is marginally more expensive than metal. Probably other brands exist, those are the only ones I'm familiar with personally.

But, check your local prices.

Home Depot or similar stores will have it, although some types/sizes may be special order. Feed stores up here can also order it, dunno bout down there. Pretty much teh same availability as metal roofing IME

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. mollidog

mollidog Hatching

Nov 24, 2008
    I love this picture. What substrate are you using in the run? Shavings or sand? I'm frustrated with straw!

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    http://www.palramamericas.com/docs/upload/Palruf_AgTufUV_Warranty_12.15.2010.pdf
    Actually, they do mention it
    Their warranty clearly states hail damage isn't covered

9. jetdog

jetdog Songster

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Actually the suntuff roofing sold at home depot has a10 year warranty against hail damage. I read all the labels and the brochure before I bought it, maybe because I am in the north east and I can't remember the last time we got hail"never" the warranty may be different according to location.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: