Roos Area

newbiecaroline

Songster
12 Years
Jan 21, 2008
Alberta
Hi, Planning a roos bachelor section.

What will they need ? just a roosting pole?

no nests exactly- do they just lay wherever?

Is a roosting pole better at a window or in the dark?

Use a large dowel? or strictly 2 x 4

thanks!

If you are planning to raise a group of roosters you have to know that as they mature they get aggressive. Roosters will fight until they are a bloody mess or one is killed. It is not a pretty thing to witness. They will fight through adjacent fences also.

Free range roos do get along a bit better because they can spread out but fights will still happen for dominance.

The only way to prevent the fighting is a different small coop or pen for every rooster.

Editing to add - If you are planning to raise meat birds like the jumbo cornish cross those birds grow out to size in 8 - 12 weeks. By that young age they aren't at a fighting age and will grow out fine. They are too heavy to roost and mostly lay around. Keep the bedding very clean. They are eating machines and will leave everything a brick of poop in a matter of a few days.

Last edited:

huh
idunno.gif
? Roos don't lay eggs.​

Last edited by a moderator:
4 white silkies SR
4 black tailed buff japanese SR
4 white crested black polish - 1 male
so not many roos I hope 3 would be perfect.
and all day olds
I'm renovating the trailer you see in avatar into coop so would be nice to know what the roos need.
caroline

You can keep the cockerels with the pullets until they reach sexual maturity. As mentioned earlier, when you separate them, make sure they have plenty of room to get away from each other. Out of sight of the girls would also be good.

What will they need ? just a roosting pole?
A roost and different feed. Pullets need the calcium in layer feed, roos don't.

They will sleep on the roosts at night and may hang out on them during the day. They will occasional lay on the floor during the day so provide some pine shavings on the inside floor for them.

Is a roosting pole better at a window or in the dark?
It basically doesn't matter unless you are in a hot climate and the sun shines in a lot. In a cooler climate, the birds will probably appreciate some sunshine when they stay inside on a cold day.

Use a large dowel? or strictly 2 x 4
Personal preference. I always use 2x4s with the flat side up. The birds can hunch down over their toes and keep them warm in cooler weather. Chickens also do not grip the roost the way most birds do. However, a lot of people use dowels and they work fine.

Silkies have a difficult time flying, so keep the roosts a little lower than normal. (There are exceptions.)

Thank you Carla !

"Pullets need the calcium in layer feed, roos don't."
would it hurt them if I don't...reason is feed comes in 50lb bags = for 3 roos?

"Silkies have a difficult time flying, so keep the roosts a little lower than normal. "
since I'll have silkie roos too, I hope, then I can keep all roosts couple feet off the floor.

Thanks again
caroline

If you can get a small amount of game cock feed when they outgrow the starter/grower that would be great, but they will be OK on the layer too.

None of my roos are separated from the hens so they have to eat layer pellets. Less calcium is better for the boys, but sometimes not possible. They will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom