Roo's eye is swollen HELP!(PICS)

LuvMyPeeps7

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
Lexington
My new Aracauna roo's eye is swelled shut and there is a small round swollen spot under his eye and feels like there may be some fluid there. He also has a foul odor coming from beak and some nasal drainage. What can I do to make the swelling go down and relieve the pain for the poor thing any suggestions would be VERY helpful right now. Thank you in advance.
hu.gif

66032_roosters_107.jpg

66032_roosters_108.jpg

Last edited:
I am way new and probably not much help, but have you search for poultry eyeworms? You did not mention if he had a sinus or runny nose problem...I would check the eyeworm thing asap!

Thank you so much. I just noticed it this afternoon, my 2 sons said it was like that last night but they thought he was falling asleep. Now I know it's not him sleeping. Whats the best muscle.

Hi I found this in an old post from 2007 - before you give anitbiotics - make sure what it is first- you did not mention any sinus problem or breathing problem.

I think Vet Rx is used to treat eye worms. It's an all natural product, I think. Here is the blurb from their website:

VETRX POULTRY Effective relief from respiratory diseases, CRD, roup, scaley leg mites, favus, eye worm - for all poultry - chickens, turkeys and game birds

"Eye Worm"

This affliction is most harmful to game birds, which must have good, clear vision at all times. The tiny worm works its way under the third eyelid and causes a pus pocket to form. The bird will blink excessively and rub its eye at base of wing feather.
To treat, hold bird under your arm so you have both hands free. Open bird's mouth while turning its head to side and tilting down so you can see the cleft in the roof of the mouth. Dip a small cotton swab into warm VETRX™. Press swab right into cleft. Do this slowly. Watch for VetRx to come from each side of bird's beak and pus coming from corner of each eye. Remove pus and rest bird for awhile. You may have to repeat treatment two or three times before you see results.

Back
Top Bottom