Roos saved the hens from hawk!!!

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
I'm so proud of my two roosters, Peter (silkie cock) and Picket (silkie-OEGB mix cockerel)! I thought I'd make this thread to share their story!

Yesterday in the late morning, I looked at my window and saw...a chicken flying (in my defense, it looked like my EE hen! :lol: )! Then the "chicken" turned around mid-air and flew over the same stretch of land. I then realized it was a Cooper's Hawk and ran out the back door.

I chased the hawk away then ran to get some food. I went into the chicken yard and called. The roosters were giving the alarms and were all panicked. When they heard my voice they all stopped and came to me. I tossed the food into their covered predator proof run to attract them in.

Here is my favorite part! There is a sort of narrow stretch between the coops and the fence, which is covered in grape vines. The chickens love this area because this is where I toss their scraps. I had seen the hawk fly low along this stretch then double back and go over it again. It looked to be flying only a couple feet off the ground. Anyways, Peter had gathered 4-6 hens with him and was hiding under the grape vines, only a few feet from the hawk! But he kept his girls calm and safe.

I counted them as I called them to the coop. All where there except Layla, a silkie pullet. Picket wouldn't go in, so I went to round him up. As I did, I saw he was beside Layla! I picked up Layla and put her in the coop, and he followed willingly. It was so sweet!

It is a miracle they all survived, especially because I had a couple of chicks out there who are perfect hawkbait size! I know that my roos probably saved them all! I will never keep a flock again without a couple of faithful roosters!

I'm so proud of my two roosters, Peter (silkie cock) and Picket (silkie-OEGB mix cockerel)! I thought I'd make this thread to share their story!

Yesterday in the late morning, I looked at my window and saw...a chicken flying (in my defense, it looked like my EE hen! :lol: )! Then the "chicken" turned around mid-air and flew over the same stretch of land. I then realized it was a Cooper's Hawk and ran out the back door.

I chased the hawk away then ran to get some food. I went into the chicken yard and called. The roosters were giving the alarms and were all panicked. When they heard my voice they all stopped and came to me. I tossed the food into their covered predator proof run to attract them in.

Here is my favorite part! There is a sort of narrow stretch between the coops and the fence, which is covered in grape vines. The chickens love this area because this is where I toss their scraps. I had seen the hawk fly low along this stretch then double back and go over it again. It looked to be flying only a couple feet off the ground. Anyways, Peter had gathered 4-6 hens with him and was hiding under the grape vines, only a few feet from the hawk! But he kept his girls calm and safe.

I counted them as I called them to the coop. All where there except Layla, a silkie pullet. Picket wouldn't go in, so I went to round him up. As I did, I saw he was beside Layla! I picked up Layla and put her in the coop, and he followed willingly. It was so sweet!

It is a miracle they all survived, especially because I had a couple of chicks out there who are perfect hawkbait size! I know that my roos probably saved them all! I will never keep a flock again without a couple of faithful roosters!
What great roosters do best! You have GREAT roosters! Great job intervening to help your flock out as well. You are also a GREAT rooster.

Back
Top Bottom