Roost bar pecking

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
Hello all,

So I have a flock of mixed ages, and the newcomers are somewhat accepted into the flock. What I mean by somewhat is the older birds don't bother them much anymore during the day. Sometimes es the occasional get out of my bubble chase off. But at night during my routine lock in and head count, the older birds are pecking at the newcomers on the roost bar forcing them to the nest boxes. I finally got them to roost but now tge senior flock is being dicks about it. There is plenty of space for every bird in the flock on the bars plus some extra. They aren't laying yet so I know the older flock won't accept them fully til then. But there's enough space for the older birds to have two bars to themselves and the newcomers to have one to themselves plus extra for both. Just confuses as to why they aren't aggressive in any other aspect except that.

Thanks all.

Somebody has to be BOSS, and the chicken pecking order is like 'mean girls in high school'. Any possibility on installing roosts in another part of the coop?

Somebody has to be BOSS, and the chicken pecking order is like 'mean girls in high school'. Any possibility on installing roosts in another part of the coop?
Not really with the way the coop was designed. It was designed for not only them but user friendly application. I designed it the way I did because I have/had back issues(just recently had surgery to hopefully resolve said issue). So I can easily get in and out for cleaning, collecting and maintaining. On top of window placement and height it prevents a bar from being moved.

Just confuses as to why they aren't aggressive in any other aspect except that.
The RoostTimeRumble is one of the most contentious parts of the day.
Even well established flocks squabble at roost time.

But there's enough space for the older birds to have two bars to themselves and the newcomers to have one to themselves plus extra for both.
How far apart are the roosts...can you post some pics?

To keep the youngsters from roosting in the nests, I cover the nests up an hour before roost time, then uncover when I lock up after dark.

The RoostTimeRumble is one of the most contentious parts of the day.
Even well established flocks squabble at roost time.

How far apart are the roosts...can you post some pics?

To keep the youngsters from roosting in the nests, I cover the nests up an hour before roost time, then uncover when I lock up after dark.
Theyre at different heights 18, 24 and 30 inches high. Also spaced about 18 inches apart.

I've considered covering the nests myself

Back
Top Bottom