Roost question

Djgm

Songster
May 9, 2020
Northern NJ
We're almost up to the roost building part of the coop. I'm going to have one each of Australorp, Buff Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock, Delaware, New Hampshire, Olive Egger, Welsummer, Easter Egger, and a Lavender Orpington. If I'm not mistaken (I'm new to all this) these are all heavier birds, so should I try and keep most roosting bars lower? Which would be better for them, 2x2's or 2'4's flat side up?

We're almost up to the roost building part of the coop. I'm going to have one each of Australorp, Buff Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock, Delaware, New Hampshire, Olive Egger, Welsummer, Easter Egger, and a Lavender Orpington. If I'm not mistaken (I'm new to all this) these are all heavier birds, so should I try and keep most roosting bars lower? Which would be better for them, 2x2's or 2'4's flat side up?
I would go with either 2”x3” or 2”x4” wider side under foot.

I used mostly 2x2's and put them so high I could never reach, but they sure love them! I have 44 chickens so there are about 7 roosts at different levels and all placed so they don't poo on one another in this coop! I have three coops, but one is being used as a brooder right now. :cool:
Just ignore the stupid numbers, I don't remember why they are there! :idunno

roosts in coop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom