roost rack

aaronb123

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2023
hey everyone, i built myself a small a frame coop that currently has three birds in it. i realized after there isn't much room for a roosting location, so i doubled the ramp to their loft as a roosting rack, basically a glorified ladder ramp wide enough to fit all 3 on one rung. do you think this is enough for them or should i start working on a better method? Thanks!

not the best photo of it but you can see it in the background

Attachments

• Snapchat-1528989043.jpg
    Snapchat-1528989043.jpg
    762.7 KB · Views: 11
Please provide better photos. Just from a glance, the rungs do look too close together so you'd need to provide us with measurements of how far apart they are, as well as the angle. With how it's set up I'm not sure why there's a coop at all if you're having them roost outside of it, but as the run(?) is chicken wire, that's not predator proof so they really need to be locked inside at night.

If the coop is too small for a proper roost it's too small for the chickens to be living it. A-frames are unfortunately difficult to ventilate and lay out well.

I built a roost for my girls and spaced the boards about 18" apart with a 12" rise. I also used a 2 x 3(actual size 1.5" x 2.5"). I used a 1/4" round over router bit on the edges. They seem comfortable sitting on them. Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom