Roost too high?

Here’s my set up.
The top of the ladder roost is 8 feet high and they love to go up there.
Some even roost in the ceiling beams/rafters.
FAB20824-C12E-495F-9384-A26454CCC4BB.jpeg
B0900959-C4DC-4A1B-83B2-145CBFEE7043.jpeg
4B686AD1-2236-4866-A34B-0475155582FF.jpeg

This was before we added the two extra roosts so it’s easier for them to get down plus they can spread out more so the lower ranking birds don’t get pecked by the dominant ones.
8B7BFCD4-B864-4BC6-B37B-35007E248D04.jpeg

Yes...my Silkie goes all the way up there. No problem :lol:
19164865-DD5A-4914-970D-EFC6AEC95459.jpeg

Here’s my set up.
The top of the ladder roost is 8 feet high and they love to go up there.
Some even roost in the ceiling beams/rafters.
View attachment 1509732 View attachment 1509733 View attachment 1509734

This was before we added the two extra roosts so it’s easier for them to get down plus they can spread out more so the lower ranking birds don’t get pecked by the dominant ones.
View attachment 1509740

Yes...my Silkie goes all the way up there. No problem :lol:
View attachment 1509742
That was what I was thinking about doing for the roosts. I had put in an older ladder but was too slippery so will have to make one

That was what I was thinking about doing for the roosts. I had put in an older ladder but was too slippery so will have to make one
My DH built this one. It’s just 2x4s.
We used a level to make sure the rungs are flat when it’s in position.
The ladder roost is actually on hinges.
The bottom “rung” is a separate 2x4 that rests on the nest box frame and the coop frame.
When cleaning I can lift the ladder roost, remove the bottom rung and lower the ladder roost against the wall so it’s out of the way.

That ladder roost is really cool! I love that. Athiena, I think you need to either add something like that or a ramp for them to come down closer to the ground before they jump down. I know mine don't like jumping down from their high spots. I think if you put different heights/levels of boards in, you will find that they will rarely jump more than 2 or 3 feet down at a time if they have other options. I'm not sure from your pics but it looks like you could do a 2x4 from the 2nd floor roost down to the nest box and then another from the nest box to the floor (or close to the floor). It doesn't have to be fancy to just try it out. And it may save possible injuries. Personally, I think the nest boxes would be fine if they have an easier way down.

I reread your original post.... maybe they were roosting in the nest boxes after you closed off the rafters because they like to sleep in the highest place they can get to. Maybe you could take out the dividing walls, add a removable roost (easier to clean), let them roost in there, and just put some smaller boxes/bins/whatever below for them to lay their eggs in. Then you could have the rafters and 2nd floor closed off.

View attachment 1508302 So I reopened the roost spot they originally had due to they were constantly using the nest boxes instead. It was closed off at first due to it being an open spot of the second floor floor and not the actual rafters. The second floor is more a loft and has two open sides so has been scared they would fly off when first moving them into this spot. I put them up there to show it was a spot to roost and they ventured around before jumping down again. My oldest roo could not get up there. It's almost 6 foot high. I'm 5'2 and could only reach the bottom of the beam. The nesting boxes are about 4'6. Is this too high for them, or could they be just unsure about the roosting spot.
You might want to move the nesting boxes down to about 2 feet off the floor in your chicken house.
As for the roosts, the higher the better for most chickens that can fly. Some chickens like Silkies can't fly to save their lives. If you have non flyers or handicapped birds you can put the roosts lower and even make them a little ladder to go up (but roosts should always be higher than nesting boxes).

Back
Top Bottom