Rooster after a fight

You will have to make sure either the neighbor keeps their bird up or keep yours behind fencing, but be aware that fence fighting can take place.
It would be a good idea to approach the neighbor and kindly ask them about their flock.

Your rooster has taken some blows to the head, neck, breast, etc. It's going to take some days to recover. Head trauma can take a while, his eye says a lot along with the facial swelling.
I would continue with Triple Antibiotic for his wounds. For the eye that is closed, open it, flush it with saline and make sure it's still intact. Put a little triple antibiotic ointment in that eye. Just let a dot melt into it.

Check his breast and crop area to make sure there's no punctures. You may find bruising (green skin). If there's abrasions or broken skin, then apply a little triple antibiotic ointment.

Sugar water is good, alternate to fresh plain water too. If you have poultry vitamins direct dose him once a day for a few day.
He may have some cuts inside his beak and he's sore. Offer him some wet feed. A little scrambled egg may be enticing. See if he will eat a little something after he's well hydrated.

How do his feet look? Any damage?
He’s actually popped open his swollen eye when I went to clean it today. So both eyes are open but I’m still rinsing him with a saline solution. He’s started eating a bit now that he can see from both of eyes; it just his “beak-to-eye” coordination is a bit off. Other than that he’s got a good crow going today and his feet are fine I’ve checked he just won’t walk cause he likes being pampered now🙄(side note: he was walking fine when I’m not around according to my mom but when I’m around he’ll stop, lay down, and maybe lay his leg out for some flare as if it’s hurt. But nothings wrongs I’ve exercised him). But I’m gonna try to fancy up a lawnmower battery fence that a lot of my farming friends have recommended. In their words “It doesn’t kill them just shocks the piss out of them.”

He’s actually popped open his swollen eye when I went to clean it today. So both eyes are open but I’m still rinsing him with a saline solution. He’s started eating a bit now that he can see from both of eyes; it just his “beak-to-eye” coordination is a bit off. Other than that he’s got a good crow going today and his feet are fine I’ve checked he just won’t walk cause he likes being pampered now🙄(side note: he was walking fine when I’m not around according to my mom but when I’m around he’ll stop, lay down, and maybe lay his leg out for some flare as if it’s hurt. But nothings wrongs I’ve exercised him). But I’m gonna try to fancy up a lawnmower battery fence that a lot of my farming friends have recommended. In their words “It doesn’t kill them just shocks the piss out of them.”
Get a video of him walking about - upload to youtube and provide a link.

Photo of him laying down with his leg out would be neat too:)

If the birds go through the fence just right, they might get shocked. I have a group of hens and chicks that run around all day long with 2 electric fences going, they go in/out and beyond the fencing constantly and they never get shocked. It's mainly for predator deterrent, not to keep chickens in or out. They know how to navigate, so I would not depend completely on an E fence to stop that neighbor's rooster from visiting, nor would I depend on the fence to keep yours in.

To keep the other rooster away from your hens I’d say try what I did to keep my hens away from my disabled chick, I’d grab long sticks and smack he ground in front of them or tap their back with it, if it’s an aggressive rooster try throwing thinner sticks at it, thinner so that he doesn’t get hurt if he’s hit with one, all of the chickens I’ve tried this on are still perfectly happy and fine but they also don’t pick on my chick anymore.

"Wound Kote" (brand name) by Farnam works well for injuries that are not immediately around the eyes. It does a few things:
- shields the visibility of the wounds from other chickens
- provides some pain relief and is a germicidal antiseptic

We've used it for a little Golden Comet pullet that we named "Rocky" because she seems to like to get into "scraps" with dogs and hawks. We've had to dress wounds twice in her first 6 months with us because she got over a 6' fence the first time into the neighbor's yard that has 6 dogs, another time she got attacked by a hawk while free-ranging in our yard late in the day.

It sprays on, and is a deep purple color (shields the wounds from other chickens' sight). Wear gloves, or your hands will be purple for days!
Wound kote is good stuff!! If you do get it on your hands wipe it off immediately with rubbing alcohol, it’ll take most of the purple out.

Back
Top Bottom