Rooster and hen covered in yellow spots

Featheryyards

Chirping
Jan 24, 2022
So my rooster and hen (both same age from same clutch) recently got a bunch of yellow spots all over their crown. I don’t know if it’s infected peck wounds or if it might be something serious cause this is the first time I’ve seen it. I have one other hen with them and she has had zero spots. Does anyone know what this might be and if I need to get him to a vet asap??

Attachments

• IMG_3763.jpeg
    IMG_3763.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3762.jpeg
    IMG_3762.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 10
It's caused by mosquito bites, so first thing is check around for standing water.
dry fowl pox in chickens treatment

It's dry pox, wet pox is worst (in their mouth). I usually leave it alone, usually notice when it's scabs, which dry and fall off. You can apply Triple Antibiotic or think I read Iodine (don't get in their eye/nostrils) to help dry. IF you have any chicks, it can be deadly for them.

It's caused by mosquito bites, so first thing is check around for standing water.
dry fowl pox in chickens treatment

It's dry pox, wet pox is worst (in their mouth). I usually leave it alone, usually notice when it's scabs, which dry and fall off. You can apply Triple Antibiotic or think I read Iodine (don't get in their eye/nostrils) to help dry. IF you have any chicks, it can be deadly for them.
Ok thank you so much. Is it possible for him to survive this?? We are doing what we can to get rid of mosquitoes (I like in the swamp area) I also have ducks so I’m gonna try to flock treat everyone I can.

Ok thank you so much. Is it possible for him to survive this?? We are doing what we can to get rid of mosquitoes (I like in the swamp area) I also have ducks so I’m gonna try to flock treat everyone I can.
Yes, they will most definitely live through it as long as you start treating them and continue all the way through. Which I'm sure you will!

Yes, they will most definitely live through it as long as you start treating them and continue all the way through. Which I'm sure you will!
Yeah I’m doing my best to treat them now. I just had my other rooster pass away a few months ago from unknown illness and I am nearly in tears praying they will all survive and be ok from this.

@ChickNanny13 has given you some great advice.

Since this is a virus, it taxes the immune system. They may not feel well, may also go off their feed. You might offer up probiotics and a good vitamin supplement like Poultry Cell. Keep them on both of these for a couple of weeks until they heal.

Yeah I’m doing my best to treat them now. I just had my other rooster pass away a few months ago from unknown illness and I am nearly in tears praying they will all survive and be ok from this.
I'm sure they will with a little time, care, and love!

@ChickNanny13 has given you some great advice.

Since this is a virus, it taxes the immune system. They may not feel well, may also go off their feed. You might offer up probiotics and a good vitamin supplement like Poultry Cell. Keep them on both of these for a couple of weeks until they heal.
Got it. I have all my birds on poultry cell and I can get ahold of the save a chic probiotic and electrolyte

Back
Top Bottom