Rooster Attacked

Mr Gamecock

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 30, 2013
South Carolina
I was walking up to my barn and I heard the rooster screaming for help.My Lab had broken one of my gate latches and was attacking him.She thought it was a game because she could have bit his neck and that could have been it.But I managed to tackle her pick up the exhausted bird and I brought him in the house and checked his wounds.He has one gash on his back and then mostly feathers missing from his tail and some from his back.He was screaming and wanted his flock back so i put him in the nesting box like 20 minutes ago .He got out of shock and wanted down so I put him down with the girls.he is eating and he may start to drink since the attack only happened 30 minutes ago.I went ahead and put all of the chickens in the pen and locked it so they cant free range today.

1.What do I need to do as far as cleaning the wound????

2.Should I get him away from the flock?

.He is still in shock and kinda going to the corners of the pen.I need help as soon as possible So I can treat him.

Gentian violet (an antiseptic available from a pharmacy). I use it for open wounds and such.
An antiobotic spray or ointment would be a good idea, also.

The wound is getting pecked alittle by 1 hen and I wonder if anything I can cover the wound with to keep her and the flies away? any ideas?

The flies can cause fly strike so I would bring him inside for a couple of days. BluKote is a spray from the farm stores containing gentian violet (which you can buy at Wal Mart by itself in the pharmacy.) It is good to spray on the wound after it heals a bit to keep them from pecking. There is another ointment at the farmstore called SWAT in the horse dept. that will keep flies away from wounds.

Back
Top Bottom