Rooster attacking despite some advices followed

I just seen a video of the broom stick method earlier! actually a few vids. One guy even accidentally pulled its entire head right off :eek:My main fear more than anything is doing it wrong and increasing the suffering. Do you think a .22 Air rifle could do the job quick enough if if it was to the head (point black)? In culling I feel its the physical contact that would hold me back more during the process. It is on the lower end of power about 450 fps
Yes, I use air rifles all the time. A .22 air rifle at point blank range to the brain will do just fine.

Hi everyone. Second post of today. But this one a bit more serious. I have 3 chickens all hatched November 16th. 2 I know are hens But our white one in picture is a Roo. Dekalb White I believe his breed to be, I have tried some advice from online for behavior aggression issues over the past couple + weeks. Such as just spending more time around the flock. just talking with them. And even manually handing rooster in way to "Assert Dominance but affection also" as one video suggested by holding him down by his back like a dominant rooster would to assert his dominance to stop fighting but also rewarding treats from the hand. While this seems to work for other people. Its been a total loss for me. every time I enter their "area" to refill their food or water he just attacks me. bites onto my shirt sleeve and jumps up at my arm with his claws. I have been told just to cull him but I have never had such experience and honestly I don't know if I even have it in me to do that, I am kind of at a total lost point now. So anything you guys can suggest would be definitely appreciated.
He’s still quite young and his attention span as well as his ability to retain his “lessons” from you right now is slim. It takes lots of repeating. When they get a few months older, I find these methods to work so much better. If you like to have the benefits of keeping a Roo around and wanna stick with it. I say keep it up!

Our Roo will go after our feet a few times when we’re in the coop and run area working on things, etc; but, personally, I don’t mind this as long as he’s not overly aggressive. - Why?
Well, it’s because I have Roosters to protect my Girls. The coop & run are his territory and he needs to feel that confidence so if there is ever a predator attack, he will be ready to defend.

However, it’s a different story if they are free ranging around our property. That’s when he has to behave. We don’t even allow mating behavior around us. It’s the “Not in front of us” rule! LOL!😉 — So, we use either catch/pick him up and carry him around for 10min to embarrass him and take him down a peg or we use the dominant posture with pinning. We also found out that he hates a Butterfly net, just by happenstance, so if you carry that around he will behave! Who knew?! 🤷🏼‍♀️
Perhaps you could carry something like this while in the coop until his newly surging hormones even out; I’ve heard of ppl using old tennis rackets…

— You could also place him in a bachelors pen and let him mature, then reintroduce.

Good luck!! 🍀👍🏼

He's a cockerel, not old enough to understand due to his hormones raging. If your intentions is to keep him? But his behavior is overwhelming you?

You could place him by himself away from the hens for several months till his hormones calm down. He may be better behaved once old enough to join the flock.

You never know, he might turn out to be a great rooster after all.

Hi everyone. Second post of today. But this one a bit more serious. I have 3 chickens all hatched November 16th. 2 I know are hens But our white one in picture is a Roo. Dekalb White I believe his breed to be, I have tried some advice from online for behavior aggression issues over the past couple + weeks. Such as just spending more time around the flock. just talking with them. And even manually handing rooster in way to "Assert Dominance but affection also" as one video suggested by holding him down by his back like a dominant rooster would to assert his dominance to stop fighting but also rewarding treats from the hand. While this seems to work for other people. Its been a total loss for me. every time I enter their "area" to refill their food or water he just attacks me. bites onto my shirt sleeve and jumps up at my arm with his claws. I have been told just to cull him but I have never had such experience and honestly I don't know if I even have it in me to do that, I am kind of at a total lost point now. So anything you guys can suggest would be definitely appreciated.
I have become squarely of the opinion you can never fix a human aggressive rooster if the aggression is persistent and severe. I think its a brain defect, possibly caused by imprinting on humans. He thinks you are a rival rooster. I think you got to cull him. I disagree with notions that he’s just young and feeling out hormones. There’s many cockerels and roosters in the world that are ready to whip another rooster but wouldn’t begin to attack a human. The problem isn’t that he wants to whip another rooster. The problem is he thinks that other rooster is you when he clearly should know the difference between a human and a chicken. You can’t fix that kind of defect in perception.

I have become squarely of the opinion you can never fix a human aggressive rooster if the aggression is persistent and severe. I think its a brain defect, possibly caused by imprinting on humans. He thinks you are a rival rooster. I think you got to cull him. I disagree with notions that he’s just young and feeling out hormones. There’s many cockerels and roosters in the world that are ready to whip another rooster but wouldn’t begin to attack a human. The problem isn’t that he wants to whip another rooster. The problem is he thinks that other rooster is you when he clearly should know the difference between a human and a chicken. You can’t fix that kind of defect in perception.
At what point do you consider this Aggression to the point of being “persistent and severe”? — While he still a Cockerel, and before he has a chance to become a mature Roo? If so, then IMO it’s too early. I think what myself and @Tonyroo is saying is that you gotta let a cockerel be a cockerel, try to understand them, and give them a chance if you can as you may be cheating yourself of a really good Rooster that will one day save you Layer hens from danger and lay down his life for them. I mean, what better protection for you Flock can you ask for? To me, it’s definitely worth it! Roos get a bad rap, that’s for sure

You should really read the other thread about aggressive roosters. There is no reason to cull yours. Teach him that humans are dangerous. Most roosters learn that lesson fast.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-rooster-attacked-me.1514910/

Here is what I posted.

This bothers me on a bunch of levels. You are putting yourself and your children at risk because you don't understand chicken law. Chicken law is simple. Either the rooster is boss or you are boss. The way he proves he is boss is by attacking you and if you run, he is boss. My 5 year old son came in from the yard crying and shaking because a young rooster had flogged him. He had several scrapes and scratches on his arms and head. I took him back outside and the rooster promptly ran at him to flog him again. I drop kicked the rooster 40 feet across the yard, then told my son to run over and kick him as many times as he could while the rooster was still stunned. He kicked the rooster 5 or 6 times before the rooster managed to get up and run away. The next 3 times my son went outside to play, I told him to make a point of running at the rooster and trying to kick him. The rooster ran away because my son was practicing chicken law. My son was dominant and the rooster knew it. This happens regularly with chickens. A young rooster attacked me a few years ago. I got a 5 gallon bucket and whacked the rooster with it three times until he ran and hid. He never did it again because I made a point of showing him I was boss.

Please note, a lot of people have trouble with this because they want to think of a chicken like a dog or a cat. Chickens are NOT dogs or cats. They instinctively understand dominance and they will always try to prove they are dominant. It is up to you to understand that the only way to protect yourself and your children is to prove to the rooster that YOU are dominant.

This reminds me of a woman who had to carry a broom any time she went out in her own yard because the rooster had made her run and knew he was boss. She used the broom to fend off the rooster. If she had instead whacked the fool soup out of the rooster and then whacked him several more times until he ran, he would have understood that she was boss and never attacked her again.

I have to admit, all the cockerels and roosters I have had never behaved that way towards me. And my total was about 13 in total last year. They all got culled for food purposes. But they never expressed any aggression even during there hormone stage.

What I have done in a past is put him in a dog kennel in your house and where ever your busiest place is just sitt In the same room and antagonize almost.but put him in his place

One guy even accidentally pulled its entire head right off
Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,

Click the 'Watch this video on YouTube'

it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

-Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.

-Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.

Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,

Click the 'Watch this video on YouTube'

it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

-Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.

-Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.

I would like to add two points,

First, be sure that the broomstick is very securely under your feet with your full weight on it so that it doesn't slip out.

Second, it is definitely disconcerting -- and potentially upsetting -- to find yourself holding a violently-flapping bird upside down by his ankles. HOWEVER, that violent flapping is the sign that the spinal cord has been properly separated and you can reassure yourself that the bird is dead and has no feeling or awareness left by reaching down with your free hand to feel the gap between the vertebrae where they've been dislocated.

Back
Top Bottom