Rooster attacking despite some advices followed

Grab him and put him some Nader your arm, if he squiggles to get away, squeeze! I do this all the time with my Reggie, he is learning, I am the boss
Thank you! gonna try this. have been meaning to try this for a while. just been so nervous to tackle him into my hands haha! he screams at the top of his lungs whenever i do try pick him up! which may be my fault. I have hand fed them all their life. but never actually really "handled them"

Thank you! gonna try this. have been meaning to try this for a while. just been so nervous to tackle him into my hands haha! he screams at the top of his lungs whenever i do try pick him up! which may be my fault. I have hand fed them all their life. but never actually really "handled them"
That’s not your fault, this is cockerels in general, they don’t like to be picked up for obvious reasons, but u have to show them you are the boss

That’s not your fault, this is cockerels in general, they don’t like to be picked up for obvious reasons, but u have to show them you are the boss
Thanks! I will try work up the courage to start this! and hope it works out!! any tips for when he starts crowing as well? i heard of no crow collars but mixed people say its cruel while others don't. I am in a residential area in the middle of a town. Most people don't care about noise as their dogs barking all night long here. But if he starts to crow id like to keep it quiet as possible to avoid any potential issues

Thanks! I will try work up the courage to start this! and hope it works out!! any tips for when he starts crowing as well? i heard of no crow collars but mixed people say its cruel while others don't. I am in a residential area in the middle of a town. Most people don't care about noise as their dogs barking all night long here. But if he starts to crow id like to keep it quiet as possible to avoid any potential issues
IMO crow collars are cruel, but like you say, most ppl have dogs and don’t complain..offer your neighbors eggs, it normally goes a long way 😁

IMO crow collars are cruel, but like you say, most ppl have dogs and don’t complain..offer your neighbors eggs, it normally goes a long way 😁
ya very good point. A couple more hens may be in order to keep the neighbors happy! 🤣
Would love to get more hens anyway,. the two i have are so funny, their own little personalities. amazing little creatures!

Hi thanks for the reply! when do their spurs come in? this is the first batch of chickens I've ever had so still learning! hoping people don't judge me as being new, mistakes will be made and learned from! lol. The sanctuary didn't get back to me today. I'm hoping if he doesn't get taken by someone then he will settle down a bit once he has more space. right now because of UK current law regarding avian flu they have to be kept under lock and key and currently the coop is a bit small for all 3. I am in the process of building a 64sq foot run with hardware mesh for the 3 chickens but its not at the point of letting them out into it. Im hoping if he doesn't get taken, then he will feel a bit more at ease having more space around him. maybe he feels threatened being in a small coop with a larger person entering every day to refeed / water? i may have failed to mention this earlier. just been a lot going on in my mind about it. Still afraid to do the "process" myself as i love him as i love any pet. As if their my " family" rather than Livestock
Two of my Bantam Cochin roosters I've had were aggressive when their space is limited. As soon as they're given adequate space, they're like different birds. One of them quickly became my absolute favorite rooster EVER! I even referred to him as "the spawn of Satan" here on BYC's before I realized the issue. This hasn't been the case for any other cockerels/roosters. They were both cockerels when this behavior started. My other aggressive boys have only become slightly worse over time and with all of the methods I try. I gave up after trying for well over a year. All of my other boys have always been easy going around me. I do have one rooster that seems to feed off of my energy. If I am frustrated anxious or anything like that, it seems like he is stressed and on edge. I have to keep this in mind but he's never been aggressive.

Two of my Bantam Cochin roosters I've had were aggressive when their space is limited. As soon as they're given adequate space, they're like different birds. One of them quickly became my absolute favorite rooster EVER! I even referred to him as "the spawn of Satan" here on BYC's before I realized the issue. This hasn't been the case for any other cockerels/roosters. They were both cockerels when this behavior started. My other aggressive boys have only become slightly worse over time and with all of the methods I try. I gave up after trying for well over a year. All of my other boys have always been easy going around me. I do have one rooster that seems to feed off of my energy. If I am frustrated anxious or anything like that, it seems like he is stressed and on edge. I have to keep this in mind but he's never been aggressive.
thank you. I will try try get their outdoor space finished ASAP. hopefully that makes him happier and less aggressive. Hearing your words there gives me hope that soon as hes outside he may start feeling more at ease with everything. As said before i don't mind his aggression towards me. I can personally deal with that. just don't want kids in the area who use our land to be in any harms way. hopefully more space gives him some peace without feeling threatened in a confined area. Thank you all who have gave advice! i will also start trying to handle him tomorrow if i can get the mental courage lol

Back
Top Bottom