Rooster attacking me!

Joey8765

Songster
9 Years
May 8, 2010
Australia
Yeah well I have a rooster and four chickens, the chickens are most likely Red Sex Links, but they're nice and come running up and allow you to pick them up and all
smile.png
but I think the rooster is a Rhode Island White. Whenever I go in there the rooster seems to sprint over to me and jump up and peck me, He jumps and then in a really fast motion he hits me with his feet side to side on my legs, just before he pierced three holes in my leg, it hurt like mad,
hmm.png
I have no idea why he does this, I've never done anything to harm him and I shouldn't be treated like this by an animal that I call my own!
sad.png
I have four other people in my family and he doesn't chase any of them! Not fair!

Here's a photo of the evil thing

You might want to get rid of him. It could get worse and he might really hurt you or someone else.

If you pickup one of his girls most roosters will attack you. You could cook, kick, whack it with a stick, put up with it or if your feeling vocal crowing at them sometimes puts them in there place. If you have to pickup the hens.?

If i pickup one of the chickens he will just crow as loud as he can and I will crow back, that does nothing, I wouldn't dare kick him or whack him, that would just make him worse and hate me even more! I usually just put up with it

It's not true that "MOST" roosters will attack you if you pick up one of his hens
But there is no reason to put up with it if he does. There are several methods recommended by different people on this forum to break the attack habit in a rooster. My method is to pick him up when he comes at you and carry him around tucked under your arm for about a half hour. Do it every time. Don't let him get away with it, that makes him think he is your boss.
Do a search on here to find other methods if that doesn't work for him.

The rooster I have now is a very gentlemanly kinda guy. He treats his girls very nicely and he knows I'm the boss and shows me respect. He never tried to attack me.

Quote:
If he's a gent then why dose he come at you? Protecting the hens is his job if it's not breed out of him. All my roosters will attact me if I pickup one of there hens. they will attact me if I pickup one of there bro's too. but, they haven't stopped me yet when it comes time to butcher. just wear a long sleeved shirt.
smile.png

Quote:
If he's a gent then why dose he come at you? Protecting the hens is his job if it's not breed out of him. All my roosters will attact me if I pickup one of there hens. they will attact me if I pickup one of there bro's too. but, they haven't stopped me yet when it comes time to butcher. just wear a long sleeved shirt.
smile.png

The rooster I have now does not attack me. I have had chickens for 40+ years, so I have had roosters in the past who DID try to attack me. Some of them I used the 'carry around' method and it worked. For the ones that just didn't get it, they made nice stew.

Mother nature gave the rooster two jobs: 1) breed 2) protect the hens so he can continue #1. In other words he is doing his job. I have typically done what Tammy describes carrying mine around like a football when he tries to attack to show him I'm top Roo. I will also had out treats to his girls while holding him. This reaffirms I'm in control. Another BYCer on another thread suggested spraying the roo with water. I've tried this recently and I think it works better than anything else. Now all I need to do his just reach for a hose and he goes running. Best thing is it doesn't hurt him but gets the point across. A roo that isn't at least slightly aggressive likely will not defend his girls when you really need him too. A count on my roo (Col. Sanders) to be the first line of defense for my girls if a predator sneaks past my dogs. Tammy's also right about being consistent. Correct him every time and he will eventually get the message. Good luck.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom